Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Varsity.

On the way back from Sewanee, my girl and I rode together to Atlanta, where I'd pick up the Twins and head back to the Boro via I-20; while BabyMama and her husband and step-son and Caroline would continue down I-75 to I-16 to the lower half of the Palmetto State. We had to meet somewhere to make the transfer, and venerable Atlanta burger joint, The Varsity, seemed like just the ticket. The Varsity is located just off of the Interstate right on the edge of Georgia Tech, and has apparently been in business since 1928. Travelers, college students and even presidents have dined at "The Greasy V" for generations. And like most Atlanta restaurants, they feature that Atlanta beverage: Coca-Cola. It's the Real Thing, Baby!

5 comments:

Star said...

The greesy drive-in in Northern Indiana is called Bonnie Doon. I think there's only one left in town now. My Mom and I used to go there for French fries and ice cream (yes, at the same time). Gee, I wonder why I was a fatty...

Mr. Matt said...

Super D and I had the Dog N Suds in Tampa Town. You could buy Root Beer by the Gallon, from the tap! It was so cool. It changed so much that it's back to original form. It was a transmission shop for a long time, but now it's a Sonic Drive in.

superdave524 said...

We have a Bonnie Doon Plantation just outside of the Boro, Star. I think it was a plantation at one time. Not sure what it is now.

I loved the Dog N Suds, and I remember the Root Beer. You remember Lums, Ange?

Mr. Matt said...

Lums! Ah Lums, best hotdogs around, but me, I liked the Ollie Burger.

And how about Boneshakers? We could get burgers there on our birthday (if we weren't at Shakey's)

superdave524 said...

I forgot about Boneshaker's. Now, Shakey's, I remember.