Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Neil Diamond Mini Smackdown: The 70's

My two favorite Neil Diamond songs- Sweet Caroline (my daughter's name is Caroline), and Done Too Soon- are from the 1960's, but the 1970's are when I discovered Neil. The following are a few from that era. Which of these should be in the poll?

Cracklin' Rosie is vintage early '70's Neil: "Gonna have me a time with a poor man's lady". Before he started singing for E.T., Neil had an edge.


Hard to believe that I was the age my twins are now when I bought "Moods", the album that contains Song Sung Blue:



Most folks remember The Hollies' version of "He Ain't Heavy; He's My Brother", but, Neil recorded it first. I loved the Hollies' version, but I always liked Neil's better.



Neil started losing me with with this one, but it idint always about me, is it? A lot of people really liked this one, and I can't deny that Neil and Barbra were in good voice and had good chemistry.

4 comments:

Chase Squires said...

I really hate Neil Diamond. Best parody of Neil Diamond in a movie: all of Ishtar.

superdave524 said...

Chase, I actually find myself surprised that I like Neil, but I pretty much have since I was a Lad myself. Before you write him off all the way, give his 60's stuff another listen (and he wrote Red, Red Wine. Anybody who writes songs that UB40 covers can't be all bad).

John in IL said...

Sorry Dave for suggesting a crappy smackdown. I love me my Neil Diamond.

And all of your choices were good. I like the Babs pick but I think you can't go wrong with any of them.

superdave524 said...

Neil Diamond a crappy Smackdown, John? No way! Chase doesn't like him, but Neil had a ton of hits. You and I couldn't've been his only fans; Other people were buying those records, too.