Friday, January 9, 2009

Remember the Alimoe

My oldest son went to the State spelling bee competition when he was in middle school. His mother and I knew each step of the way when he had an event coming up. We knew when he won his classroom competition. We knew when he won his school competition. We knew when he won the region for his school. We knew when he got to the state competition. We knew because he told us. We expected a lot from Davis, and we weren't surprised when he did well in academics. Athletics were a bonus, but academics were expected. He didn't move on from State- smallpocks took him down- but we went and we watched him. "Can I have a definition? Can you use it in a sentence?". We were there, and we had plenty of notice.

On Wednesday night, one of the twins, Taylor, told me he'd won his class competition in the spelling bee, and the school competition would be Thursday morning and could I go over some of the words with him. "It's tomorrow, son?". "Yeah, dad. Could you go over some of these words with me? I'm okay on every thing except the Latin words". Sure. We spent maybe ten minutes going through the list. He did all right.

From Taylor and Tyler I have grown to expect excellence in athletics. Any academic achievement is a bonus. I called my office and told them I might be late for my ten O'clock consult, I had to watch my boy compete for the school championship in spelling. He did great, Taylor did. He was clearly identifiable among the crowd with his Led Zeplin T-shirt and his annoyingly long hair, but he spoke loudly and clearly. A quarter of the competition went down in the first round. Taylor was still standing. The second round claimed more than half of the remainder: only about a third of the original students were still in the mix. Taylor sailed through. The third round was a massacre: everyone seemed to be going down. Taylor's up. "Alamo" the announcer demanded. Shoot, that one's the easiest yet, I thought. But wait... I knew about the Alamo because it was a big deal when I was a youth, but I don't remember even a whisper of it in the last fifteen or so years. "Alamo: a-l-i-m-o-e. Alamo". "I'm sorry. That's incorrect." Taylor sat down. He looked up at me and shrugged. I gave him a smile and a thumbs up. Shoot. He'd already won his class, and he beat two thirds of the other students out there. He didn't remember the Alamo. He asked me later what it was. I told him it was a defining battle of the Mexican-American War, and that frontiersman Davey Crockett- along with every other American in Fort Alamo- was killed in the battle, but that the battle became a rally cry which helped America crush Mexico in the war.

The next day, assistant principal Haydon saw Taylor in the halls. "I thought you were gonna win, Taylor." "Me, too, Mr. Haydon", replied Taylor. "Did you know that Davey Crockett was killed in the Alamo?"

15 comments:

jrtnutt said...

I guess they don't teach that in school anymore? He did well and you must be very proud. PS, long hair and Zeplin shirt describes my son too.

superdave524 said...

Apparently they don't teach it anymore. I suppose I understand: it was probably a war of American aggression, where, perhaps, we picked a fight with a weaker country (the battle of Alamo notwithstanding) to promote our agenda. Still, I was surprised that over the course of seven and a half years of school (not counting kindergarten) it wasn't even mentioned. And Tam, I'll be okay with the hair and clothes if my boy makes it to college, as yours has.

jrtnutt said...

Don't worry, they will make it to college and beyond. Just look at who's raising them?

jrtnutt said...

Don't worry, they will make it to college and beyond. Just look at who's raising them?

superdave524 said...

That's a very nice thing to say, Tam. Thanks.

John in IL said...

I suppose I understand: it was probably a war of American aggression, where, perhaps, we picked a fight with a weaker country

That's a good reason not to teach it? What else is left out of the public school curriculum? That's just scary.

superdave524 said...

I agree, John. If the only history our kids are allowed to learn is where America- or any country- were unquestionably "right", there much teaching.

Mr. Matt said...

No see, we're teaching the Alamo, it's just that the kids are bored with the Billy Bob Thorton version, next year I'm swithing them back to the John Wayne version, they'll remember!

superdave524 said...

Remember the pnuemonic devices!

kate said...

I taught about the Alamo, too, when teaching American History. Parents can always supplement by going over the lessons with their kids, John, but I won't hold my breath.

That said - Dave your explanation of the Alamo rocks. Great summary. I give you an A+.

John in IL said...

Remember the pnuemonic devices!

Do you have the flu?

John in IL said...

Parents can always supplement by going over the lessons with their kids, John, but I won't hold my breath.

I can't do anything about shitty parents. My tax dollars don't directly fund shitty parents.

superdave524 said...

Thanks, Kate.

Well, John, I was gonna say "Remember the pneumatic devices", but that didn't make any sense.

John in IL said...

Mnemonic, Pneunomic. Fun with English!

superdave524 said...

Mneumonic. "P-N-E-U-M-O-N-I-C". Mneumonic. I'm sorry. That's incorrect.