Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Roadtrip: Sewanee, Part I

From the Boro to Sewanee: about seven and a half hours. The stone gates mark the entrance to the domain of the University of the South: Sewanee. One Sewanee tradition is that whenever a Sewanee student, alumnus or friend of the school enters or leaves the domain, he touches the roof of his (or her) car. The tradition has it that we all have Sewanee angels to protect us. When we enter the domain, we touch the roof to let them go home to rest; when we leave, we take our angels with us. Tyler in front of my old fraternity house, Beta Theta Pi (when I later transferred to FSU, I hung with the Fijis. I try to claim dual citizenship). Davis is a Lambda Chi Alpha. Sunday was glorious. I'm basking in the sun outside of the dining hall, McClurg, which did not exist back in the day. We ate in Gailor Hall, which is now an art gallery, I think. The food's better now. This is Courts dormatory, one of the places I lived when I was a student at Sewanee. It is a pretty typical Sewanee dorm. This is Davis' dormatory, McCready House. It is NOT a typical Sewanee dormatory.His actual room, however, is.
Sewanee is beautiful. It sits on the edge of the Cumberland Plateau in central Tennessee. Caving, rock climbing, hiking and even hang-gliding are all possible in and around Sewanee. Here are my three sons horsing around on one of the hiking paths on the domain:


I'm out of time, so I'll finish tomorrow.

9 comments:

Mr. Matt said...

Hare Cutts

Mr. Matt said...

Ok, I hadn't read John's posts on the previous entry. So, I was repetively rundundant. I too am also like that.

superdave524 said...

Herr ess auffel, fore shore. Waddyagonnadew?

John in IL said...

I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling that way, AM.

And looking at those gloves Taylor/Tyler/no good hippie is wearing, you would think it was cold outside.

superdave524 said...

It was kinda cold, but it actually felt good. Maybe forty or so Sunday, but it got into the twenties on Monday. Davis said it had gotten into single digits two days before we got there.

John in IL said...

It was kinda cold, but it actually felt good. Maybe forty or so Sunday

I hate you with your warm weather. Suck it, Al Gore.

John in IL said...

I can't go through another winter here. I hate it.

jrtnutt said...

Everything was great til I got to the picture of the dorm room. :)
I am glad my son isn't the only one who lives like that.
The campus is beautiful and it must have been nice to have you all together with great weather (clear, no rain/snow) in such beautiful surroundings.

superdave524 said...

Yeah, John, but I was born in Montana. They tell me it's cold there. Hey, South Carolina's weather is great (though we actually got snow here the other day).

Thanks, Tam. And I think sloppy is just a college kid requirement.