Friday, January 2, 2009

Bowling in the New Year

The Lads and I rolled in the New Year to mid-night bowling at an alley in Charleston. Did we suck? Did we ever! I was the top gun with a 110 in the second game. I needed two strikes in the tenth frame to achieve that halcyon mark. Twin Tyler won one with a 78. 'Course, we only bowl once a year. I suppose you can't be to good at much of anything if you don't do it but once a year.
I'm reminded of an AC/DC song, here. Hmmm. It'll come to me.
For the last three years, this has been our official New Year's Eve drink. I was a little sugared out, but at least I didn't have a hang-over.

I actually didn't watch much football on NYD. My Seminoles were mediocre enough during the regular season to have already played their bowl game: The Champs Sports Bowl last weekend. At least the 'Noles pasted the Wisconsin Badgers to become the Champs' champs. What I did instead was watch Harry Potter movies, and cook. I prepared some hoppin' John (black-eyed peas, rice, ham hocks and lots of chopping things up), baked ham (hot sauce, brown sugar and coca-cola over it), hushpuppies, and collared greens. The ham, at least, was a hit with the Lads.

Anyway, in honor of our New Year's Eve tradition, I bring you Camper Van Beethoven:

12 comments:

Star said...

I've found that I'm better at Wii bowling than real-life bowling, even though my dad beat me sitting down. No really...he Wii bowled from a chair and put me to shame.

QuakerJono said...

Camper Van Beethoven! Wow, now that takes me back. Could Throwing Muses and Afghan Whigs be far behind?

Listening back on the first few days of a new year. Not a bad way to start things off!

superdave524 said...

The Lads have Wii at their momma's house. I never caught the Wii bug. Though I like actual physical sports, my computer hand-eye reflexes aren't that great. The Twins trounce me in every fighting game around.

Thanks, QJ. And, though I've donned the Afghan Whigs, I haven't thrown Muses. I'll check it out and get back with you.

superdave524 said...

Hey, I like Throwing Muses! I had a (the?) Breeders c.d. They sound similar. Any common members?

kate said...

Happy New Year!

Mr. Matt said...

Dave, you need to get bowling score higher than your golf score! Me, mine are about the same, and I'm a decent golfer, so I REALLY suck at bowling. Star this will shock you, but Roger is awesome at bowling and golf, ho-hum, he's sick, I hate him, I hate him, I really like Roger.

As for CV Beethoven, I saw them perform here at Skippers a few years ago and they were Tom T-riffic!

As for Yoo Hoo, it's a chocolate energy drink, Yogi Bera used to pimp for it.

superdave524 said...

and a Happy New Year to you, too, Kate.

Andy, Skipper's sounds like the bomb!

jrtnutt said...

Happy New Year Dave. What a nice way to start the year spending it with your boys.
I hope this year brings you good Health and Happiness
Tam in Tampa

superdave524 said...

Thanks, Tam, and same to you.

Chase Squires said...

I actually took a p.e. course in bowling at El Cid ... we had to get 4 p.e. credits to graduate, you didn't have to change and shower for bowling ... archery too. So watch out.

COL said...

happy new year, dave. great tradition. i should copy you and the lads next year. red wine hangovers are for the birds ...

superdave524 said...

Chase, they had bowling as a p.e. credit at Sewanee, too. The kids called it "bowling for scholars".

Thanks, Col, and Happy New Year to you, too. Maybe you need the hair of the dog to get you going. Here's some Red, red wine to help you through.