Thursday, January 8, 2009

Neil Diamond Smackdown: Two Last Picks

Love on the Rocks. Heartlight. Forever in Blue Jeans. Longfellow Serenade. Yeah. I know 'em, but they're not making the cut. It isn't always about me; but sometimes it is. Coming to America is an anthem, which for me can be anathema; but, truth be told, I like it:



Producer Rick Ruben did a great job with Johnny Cash in Cash's last albums, using song's like Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt" to highlight the Man in Black's earnest and haunting voice. Ruben has worked with Neil, too, producing songs on two new (2006 and 2008) Neil works that highlight the aspects of Neil that make him uniquely Neil. Pretty Amazing Grace is one from his newest album, Home Before Dark. I like it a lot (Betcha John will too; though probably Chase won't).



Neil Diamond is a classic American songwriter and performer. Hard to call him a classic rocker. More of a pop music artist. Still, James Taylor is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and dammit, Neil should be too! I'll post the poll tomorrow. John has weighed in with Neil and Babs, so that'll be in. The rest? I'll put something up.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You gotta cover "Lordy". Neil performs this live on GOLD. It isn't on any regular non-live version album and it's gotta be one of my favorites. There are some that cover it just as well. Check it out. I also like the Soolaimon song. He came up with some very cool songs. I just discovered him only a few years ago and haven't stopped being amazed.

superdave524 said...

Anon, I dug Soolaimon, from Tap Root Manuscript. I like Lordy, too. Actually, the one that I really hated to leave out was Brother's Love Traveling Salvation Show from Hot August Night. I agree with you: Neil has some very cool songs. Kind of ironic that when Neil allowed himself to be most himself (as I'd imagine it), the media stopped considering him cool. But being yourself is always cool.

John in IL said...

You're right, I do like Neil's new stuff.

And there is a little disconnect here. I love all the stuff that you don't (along with the songs you do love). Songs like Love on the Rocks and Forever in Blue Jeans are cheesy but my Mother played them over and over on our stereo when I was growing up (when a stereo meant a piece of furniture in your living room). Or maybe the Quaker is right and I have an unnatural affinity for Adult/Contemporary crap (although I would bitch slap Celine Dion if I ever saw her (the same goes for the Quaker)).

Anonymous said...

His adult contemporary stuff is really good like the song "If You Know What I Mean" The whole "Hot August Night" album opened my eyes to Neils music and stage persona. While visiting friends in Atlanta this past year, I got to check out the tribute band, Nine Inch Neils. They DO Diamond justice plus it was a really fun show. I highly recommend it. This Smackdown was a good idea.

John in IL said...

Yahtzee!

superdave524 said...

John, a little disconnect, but Neil tent is certainly big enough for both of us.

Anon, thanks for your comments. Make sure you vote, whenever I get the poll posted.

superdave524 said...

(and John, QJ is probably right. But hey, you're being yourself, and, like I said, being yourself is always cool).

John in IL said...

but Madonna being in the Hall of Fame before Neil is WRONG!

superdave524 said...

True, dat.

Anonymous said...

I voted.

superdave524 said...

Thanks, Anon (and I did think about putting Lordy up there, too. Or Soolaimon. Or Cracklin' Rosie. Or Brother Love's Traveling...).