Thursday, January 29, 2009

Redrum.

Had another murder trial this week. Fourth in the last two and a half years. None of my clients at the PD office, to date, have been convicted of murder. That will certainly change eventually. My dude today was convicted of voluntary manslaughter, but not murder. The jury worked hard on the case, and it is hard to fault their verdict, given the law and facts with which they were presented. This one was really a struggle. I felt like I was fighting the world: the Solicitor's office, the judge, heck, even my own client at times. I've said it before: I don't really get excited about "victories" anymore. I just wanted to go home, get a drink and relax. No such luck. Throw-together meal of sloppy joes for me, the Lads, and the neighbor kid, then the boys start beating the stew out of each other over videogames. I'm just out of a trial where a dude is convicted of strangling to death his best friend. Geez, guys, can't you settle down just for an evening? Guess not. I snuck back up to the office for some peace. I doubt they know I left.

6 comments:

Chase Squires said...

Lemme tell you, covering courts don't leave you with a warm 'n fuzzy either.

Seen a guy sentenced to death row, and I KNOW he didn't do it.

Saw a guy sent to prison for LIFE for molesting a child, and there was NO evidence ... yeah, maybe he did it, but zero evidence.

And then there was the guy whom I got to know, accused of kidnapping and murder. Not possible he did it. We talked a lot.

Then, one day, he confessed.

sigh.

superdave524 said...

You were there, so you do know. It was a tough week. Still got to fight the man, though.

Mr. Matt said...

Should have told your client to go with the, "I don't know what you thought you saw defense." Works .... well, it never works, but it's still a good line!

Is snuck a word? If it isn't it should be. I like it. Snuck little a dirty little laugh.

Or a guy crouching in the corner, "Looking him all snuckered up over there."

Star said...

"Super Dave snucked a drink when he got home from a long day in court."

jrtnutt said...

I always say Snuck. Hey do what my mom used to do Dave. Tell the boys they aren't allowed to speak to each other if they can't be nice to each other. Used to drive me and my sister crazy. It worked for a while. But after a while, we would be fighting again.

superdave524 said...

"I don't know what you thought you saw" is one of my main defenses, Ange. Course, it works best in Alabama.

Snuck may not be the Queen's English, but this ain't England! I finally did get my drink, Star, but not much time to enjoy it.

Tam, I've tried that one, and it does help. Trouble is, when you're really tired and feel kinda beaten down, it's tough to summon the energy to lay down the law. Hard to be the man when you're fighin' the man. But I'm doin' great today.