Sunday, January 4, 2009

Neil Diamond Smackdown: Done Too Soon.

"The What the Kids are Listening To" generated a fair amount of controversy, but not a lot of actual votes. "Cooking by the Book" apparently tasted slightly better than... than... well, it got the most votes. Anyway, John requested a Neil Diamond Smackdown. I'll cop to being a Neil Diamond fan. He lost me in the late 70's, early 80's, and I didn't convert any of the five or six Neil Diamond albums I have to c.d.s, but I do at least have a Greatest Hits c.d. Anyway, I like a lot of Neil's stuff. I may need some help winnowing them down. Anyway, Paul Newman, Jerry Reed, George Carlin, Eartha Kitt, and my friends Commander and Robert Barrett all met their final reward in 2008. Some, at least, were done too soon. So here's to them. And to one of my favorite Neil Diamond songs:

7 comments:

Mr. Matt said...

SuperD, William Shatner (or whomever wrote the song) said it best, "Live like you're gonna die, because you're gonna!"

We don't believe it, but it's true, and I'm buying into that phillosophy, tell people you love that you do, don't put off being a good person, and call bullshmitz on people. Life's too short to put that crap off. This I believe.

John in IL said...

Believe it or don't, I don't think I've ever heard that song before. Loved it! Thanks.

And AndyMan, I'm loving your advice. Will do.

John in IL said...

And I nominate Song Sung Blue. Here's the single version and here's the live version. They're both good (and Neil's hair is good for a laugh).

John in IL said...

You do know that every garden grows one.

superdave524 said...

Right you are, A-Man. Someone stole my Shatner c.d. Bastard!

John, I had the album, Moods, on which that song resided. It also had Porcupine Pie and Play Me. Good stuff.

Mr. Matt said...

SuperD, I'll have to make you a Shat copy (and of course forward the royalties off to the Good Captin)

John, wish I was smart enough to remember my own advice, and mostly I can, if i could just forget about revenge against my enemies...

superdave524 said...

Shat me, Bro.