Saturday, August 2, 2008

Standard Saturday Run.

My running partner, Cathy, journeyed to the Boro for our Saturday run. I packed my camera in my fanny-pack (I know, I know. But how else am I gonna carry the camera?). Started out at the Great Swamp Sanctuary. There are two sections in the Sanctuary, and one of the entrances to the first section is about a block from The Manor. The first section winds about a mile through a wet swamp.
Cat-tails and beaver ponds. I put the camera away to get up a decent head of steam (for us, anyway) for the remainder of the first section.
We slowed a bit for the next section, which is about two miles through a "dry" swamp. This is Cathy by one of the six or seven creek-bed bridges that span the second section.
Little baby reptiles are everywhere. What is this?
Oh, a baby skink.
Coupla sticks on the trail?
Nope, baby snakes.
I'm lichen this!
Where's Waldo?
There he is!
Out of the Sanctuary; into the urban forest. This Crepe Myrtle is draped in the the finest Spanish Moss.
Cathy tells me this is a native poinsetta. Guess I could look it up. Nah, y'all'll tell me if that's inakrit.
Mimosa, anyone?
Kudzu.
A little present for JiIL.

9 comments:

Mr. Matt said...

I hook my camera (thank you very much Super D!) on my water belt, or on my camel back for the longer runs.

But I didn't have it today, darn! as it was so hot that we chose not to run past the Withalacoochie River. Nay, all four us plunged in and finished the last 9 miles soaking wet, it was worth it!

superdave524 said...

Sounds like fun, Ange (and you're welcome for the camera. It was Chase's idea).

Star said...

Hey, I like your kind of running...with lots of nature stops. Looks like a pretty place to run.

Oh, and FYI: I got out the good cookie recipe for our Vermont brunch tomorrow. We'll have one for you!

John in IL said...

I so owe you. I love that he's a multitasker. Talking, smoking and screwing all at the same time! Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

And the run photos are nice, too.

John in IL said...

And I could help him with his landscaping (those poor marigolds).

superdave524 said...

Oooh! Cookies! Bring 'em on, Star (that sounds like a GM official's edict: Bring them On-Star). Wait? I thought Vermont was last month.

I thought you'd like that, John.

Chase Squires said...

A "dry swamp," isn't that a desert?

And, Where's Waldo? Here's directions, from Walterboro ...

1. Head southwest on S Jefferies Blvd toward Sanders St 1.6 mi
2. Continue on Sniders Hwy 1.8 mi
3. Turn left to merge onto I-95 S
Passing through Georgia
Entering Florida 186 mi
4. Take exit 362B to merge onto I-295 S 14.3 mi
5. Take exit 21B to merge onto I-10 W toward Lake City/Tallahassee 13.1 mi
6. Take exit 343 to merge onto US-301 S toward Starke 36.9 mi
7. Slight right at Kennard St/SR-24 W

superdave524 said...

A dry joke, Chase? Yes, and, of course, I do know where's Waldo, FL. Lawtey, Lawtey, that's where they gives out the tickets.

superdave524 said...

Er, should have been this one. Sorry about that.