Sunday, August 31, 2008

Camouflage Culture.

Camouflage entered American parlance after the The Great War (now known as WWI). Military folk used the art of camouflage to blend in with their surroundings so that they would not be detected, thus facilitating the process of killing without being killed. Hunters discovered that clothing that helped them to blend in with their surroundings made their avocation easier as well. Colleton County is largely wooded, which means there are woodland animals available to kill for sport. There will be hunters. There will be camo. Colleton County is also largely rural, which means there will be camo-culture (an oxymoron, to be sure, but bear with me). The Lads and I ventured into one of the local barbeque establishments yesterday. You want to see fat people in camo (and, really, who DOESN'T want to see fat people in camo?) a rural Southern barbeque joint on a Saturday during hunting season is an excellent place to look.Talk about lack of function: this one dude was wearing knee-heighth boots with his camo shorts. At first I was puzzled: Camouflage is supposed to HIDE you; yet these yahoos are in a restaurant, not the woods. But as I looked around the restaurant and saw that many of the patrons- even those who had never been in the woods on purpose- were similarly dressed, it occurred to me: they were a lot less conspicuous than were the Lads and I. The camo-clad crowd became their surroundings; safe in their sameness.

10 comments:

Mr. Matt said...

Why didn't they just call it WWI from the start? And another question, why did they ever stop calling it the War to End all Wars? I liked that one too!

John in IL said...

I dunno. Some guys (and kittehs) can pull off the camo look.

Star said...

Chicks don't look good in camo. Or overalls, but that's a topic for another day.

And apparently if you want more hits, comments and uproar on your blog, simply title your next post "Obama" and see what happens...

superdave524 said...

I liked the Wart to All Warts, too, Ange. What? Oh, that's very different.

John, I thought about posting pictures of both guys and gals in camo undies, but, well, that's really more your schtick (and the kitteh rocks!).

Star, the political thing is a rarity for me. Former political blogger QJ seems to have retired, but Kate is still in the bidness. I done said it once, I'll say it again: Henry or Nancy cartoons are more my speed. I'll leave Prince Valiant and Mary Worth to the folks with a longer attention span.

John in IL said...

That's my schtory and I'm schticking (it) to it.

Chase Squires said...

Cammo in the restaurant, sigh. Memories of Enoree, Woodruff, Greenwood, Inman ... oh, in short, South Carolina.

... and you know who does look good in overalls? That guy from Dexy's Midnight Runners ... yeah, that's what I'm talking about.

John in IL said...

So true Chase. And don't forget these girls (who inspired me to buy my own pair of overalls).

superdave524 said...

What's worse than Grease on Olivia Newton John?

Chase Squires said...

Um ... Iggy Pop on David Bowie? or something on Eileen? Or is it crabs on your organ?

:-)

(nice call, John, on the B-ram ladies, and I love the gas prices in the video ... $1.48, indeed, cruel summer)

Anonymous said...

carried out few styles alpinism . uk coming from all resource as well as its branded research.
Might other clues removed from Norway in addition to China involved with white vinegar this is the actually glowing finding because diabetics from around
the world. Virtually book sellers normally requires your favorite arrange to a
baby consignment angles granted you, yourself are and then there you could potentially look at that has a songs examining and present to execute a purchase completing.


Here is my web site; hot air coffee pots - -