Sunday, August 17, 2008

Roadtrip: Florence

Ah, Florence. Images of the Renaissance. The food of Tuscany. Wait. Not THAT Florence, THIS Florence. Cathy had business in Florence, and I had to see some people in jail North of the Boro, so we made a day of it (Mostly my jailed clients are in jail about a block from my office, but every now and again, I'll get some that are being held at other jails or prisons). I saw my peeps, and Cathy had her hearing. Might as well get some sight-seeing in, while we're out. While Cathy was at her hearing in Florence Courthouse pictured at left, I was wandering around the area taking pictures (with her camera. Mine's given up the ghost)Here's an interesting Church. Neo-classic with brick columns?

Looks like a pretty typical Southern downtown, a lot like the Boro, but clearly no longer a nice section of town.

Ever wonder were you could get those gold overlays for your teeth? Well, wonder no more. Thank Heaven for little grillz.

Ready for that long, dirt nap? Here's your destination. Any place else is less than Ideal.

The Wipe Me Down Carwash. Yet, somehow I feel all dirty.

And you thought outhouses were only out in the country.

Looks like they had this last month. But, of course, the warm memories remain.

Well, Florence isn't far from Dillon, SC, home of Pedro, and South of the Border. SOB is every bit as trashy as you'd think, but I can't resist. SOB is also where I won a stuffed lion for my oldest when he was about five months old. Davis still has it.

It's hard to imagine that these statues were meant for any purpose, other than the purpose to which we put them.




In spite of the Mexican theme, we weren't really in South of the 'Merican border; the border to which Dillon is just South is the North Carolina border. Anyway, the trip was successful and fun (though my clients remain in jail, so, from their standpoint, the trip was probably neither).

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave, when my dad lived in virginia, I used to drive from Florida and stop and spend the night in florence. I started driving the whole thing (13 hours) with some food/potty/gas breaks. It was right off 95 so easy to get to.

superdave524 said...

The Florence Chamber of Commerce proudly points out that Florence is half way between Miami and New York. So, Tam, did you ever take a picture of Pedro?

Anonymous said...

No can't say I did. When we stopped there I had my dog with me. So I had to bring her in to the stores. I used to see bumper stickers when I was a kid that said "South of the Boarder". I never knew what it was. Had never been south of Virginia til I was about 18. (I am a Jersey Girl)
Anyhow, I wasn't impressed with it much.

superdave524 said...

Not much to be impressed with, unless you like kitsch.

Anonymous said...

So much to see, so much to say.

I'll start with the courthouse. Late 60s architecture at its worst. Soviet Russia was the inspiration, no? Well, it is a government building.

The church. I've seen many churches that look like that but not ever in brick. And I've never seen brick columns! Cool.

Cosmo's is open. How rundown can it be?

The giant Mexican is beyond beyond. You need to submit that to this woman (and her awesome site).

You looking all Matlock on the giant weiner dog is kinda weird but fun. And I don't get why are you getting busy with a cactus.

Cathy does it right. She's communing with fake nature, not molesting it.

That's it.

superdave524 said...

Love that website, John. Check out your muffler man namesake about three rows down in FL.

The cactus? Adolescent exaggeration, is all (much like the tank in earlier pix). I really never did grow up, you know.

John in IL said...

I couldn't find it, Dave. Florida? Third row?

And a prickly prick isn't much fun, no matter how big it is. (I never grew up either)

superdave524 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
superdave524 said...

here, John.

Star said...

Hey! My post got deleted! All I can remember is that I said something about you and your brother having big cajones :)

superdave524 said...

Well, Star, I deleted my own comment, but not anyone else's (see, it says deleted by author).

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link, Dave. He looks a lot more like your neighbor John than me.

Is it getting warm in here?