Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Smackdown House of the Rising Sun 3: International Style

There ought to be at least one International version in the poll. There are a ton of them, but I'm only gonna put one in the poll. Let's start with the British Invasion. Part I: Duran Duran:



Next, those perennially peppy purveyors of prose (that was meant to be sarcastic, by the way), Pink Floyd:



For those of you who now need a lift after that last cheer-fest, how 'bout a little dance version from Gary Glitter? (and please, don't mention Viet Nam. It seems to bug him...)



Now a version of the House of the Rising Sun from the Land of the Rising Sun. The tune, at least, is house of the Rising Sun. The lyrics this gal is singing? Not a clue. Chiaki Naomi does have the blues sound working though, whatever the language.



Apparently they even know this song "Down Under" (least that's where I think Tommy Emmanuel is from):

13 comments:

Mr. Matt said...

Arg! I can't believe I keep getting this wrong. This time, it's the Animals song, House of the Rising Sun. Arg, I can't believe I can't get this right, I'm not a good boy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRXLBbPpvVg

superdave524 said...

Now, Andy, I'm beginning to wonder if Buster Poindexter ever did do a version of HOTRS!

Roger said...

On this special occassion (my first visit to SuperDave's blog), I find myself up to my arse in "House of the rising sun" renditions.

I'm shocked and dismayed that you missed my favorite. From Bob Dylan's 1962 debut album.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=49IzD9IE5Vc

I think that boy as a future in this business...

superdave524 said...

Good choice, Roger (and welcome). I do believe you'll see that one tomorrow.

Chase Squires said...

arg, I hate this song ... can't you do one on Louie, Louie renditions? At least I like that song ...

superdave524 said...

We could do Louie, Louie sometime, Chase, but right now we got to get through this one first.

Mr. Matt said...

I swear Buster did HOTRS, can't you tell, I'm making you want it, heck I'm making you need it!
Tomorrow, tomorrow... never comes.

John in IL said...

Since I'm not the only one who hates this song, can we have a "none of the above" choice in the Smackdown?

superdave524 said...

None of the above, John? Hmmm. No. But, tell you what, you and Chase can pick the next Smackdown topic (if they're different, I'll do some amalgamation of them). Post your choice on tomorrow's post.

superdave524 said...

'Cept it can't be this.

John in IL said...

Oh, you're good (and my head hurts; falling down isn't good).

John in IL said...

I doubt Chase would've picked that.

superdave524 said...

Prolly not, John (but the man does run insane distances. Really no tellin').