Monday, August 25, 2008

Smackdown House of the Rising Sun: Animals

Congrats to Marvin Gaye, winner of the "old school sex song" smackdown. And congrats to all you guys that voted. I wanted ten votes, and you guys turned out. One of my favorite songs is House of the Rising Sun. Like a lot of folks, I guess, the version with which I was most familiar is by Eric Burden and the Animals. The dude looks so young for that big-boy voice to be emanating from him. The dude knows he's cool. And so is the video.



Okay, that's "the original" (well, it's the first one I knew), but there are actually others, and in several genres. So, do your homework. Tell me if there are versions you know and like.

5 comments:

Mr. Matt said...

Buster Poindexter does a pretty good cover of this. Check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T2qpmsDkiE

John in IL said...

Honestly, I've always found that song to be terribly annoying. And you're right, there are a bazillion covers of it (none of them hits, FWIW). So I'm going with Mike the Bear (and I like Mike's disclaimer: "This isnt my best performance but I swear I kick ass with this when I sing it at Bear Karaoke.")

superdave524 said...

Ange, that link is "Fool for You". Not bad, but not House of the Rising Sun.

Oh, the humanity, John. That is almost exactly what I'd look like doing Karaoke shirtless. Sorry you're not a fan, perhaps you could just vote for the least odious version...

John in IL said...

Oh, I'm a fan. Of big, beefy manflesh (Celtic Games flashback!). I just hate that song.

superdave524 said...

Well, three more days isn't gonna kill you.