Thursday, July 31, 2008

My Interns.

Well, technically they're called "externs" (I think they told me why, but I wasn't listening). Technically, they're not "mine", either. John, Roger and Stacey are law students at the College of Charleston School of Law, and they spent a good bit of their Summer breaks working with the Public Defender's Office in the Boro. They are smart, intellectually curious, genuinely helpful and were a joy to have around. They helped me (and Harris, who is the Chief Public Defender) prepare several cases for trial. They interviewed witnesses, prepared briefs on issues that we expected to arise at trial, reviewed evidence, prepared trial exhibits, and even sounded me out on trial strategy. They shared in the highs (a "not guilty" verdict in my armed robbery trial), and lows (a life without parole sentence of a client after a guilty verdict in my arson trial) of life in the Public Defender's Office. Did I say "my trials"? No. That's wrong. Our trials. John, Roger and Stacey, I'll miss you.

10 comments:

QuakerJono said...

You know, SD, it is rather telling that only one of them appears to be smiling in that picture. What did you do to them, SD, what did you do?

superdave524 said...

Well, QJ, John is the only single one, which I think is why he is still able to smile.

John in IL said...

The (single) John in question is the best of the bunch but ain't no Big John. Can't you find something or someone else to move?

Mr. Matt said...

That chick wasn't single? Man, I figured you be... oh, sorry, this is my brother's blog I almost used the term ... oh wait, well, I miss them too!

superdave524 said...

You're a funny guy, John (how come every third person I meet anymore is named John, anyway?). You watch, that guy'll (intern John) be a Senator some day. Stacey and Roger are too nice to be that powerful! Actually, Big John is always outside working on his lawn. I'm not sure he owns a shirt. 'Course, I can't justify taking his picture for you every day.

Yeah, Ange, Stacey's married. It's a sorry state of affairs for both of us that I actually understood what you're saying.

Chase Squires said...

You have to learn to let them go, like the song says, "for every season, there is interns ... tern, tern, tern" ...

superdave524 said...

You're a strange Byrd, Chase...

John in IL said...

The Quaker's name is John(athon) too (you probably knew that). John was in the top ten of popular baby names until sometime in the 90s. (it peaked at number 2 in the early 60s). In 2007, it was the 19th most popular name.

And maybe you can get a friend to snap some pics of my shirtless future ex-husband. Either that or you will have to put up with me as your neighbor. John in SC. That sounds OK, I guess...

superdave524 said...

Come on down, the Boro's fine. In the interim, maybe I could get Big John to help with the Lad's treehouse...

John in IL said...

Our love shack, baby? Works for me.