Friday, July 25, 2008

More Raisins, Much More Raisins...

My oldest son, Davis, is passing the Summer with his mama in Beaufort, whilst awaiting his real life as a college senior in Sewanee, TN. He stopped by the Boro the other day and regaled me with tales of his college exploits. He asked, out of politeness, I suppose, about some of mine.

IIt's amazing what ridiculous things we remember. Ultimately, the events matter less than camaraderie, or purpose, or freedom that we felt through the events. Or sometimes, just the silliness. One such event was a road trip that two of my Frat brothers, Michael "Commander" McHale and Pat McInerney, and I made from Sewanee to see my brother (and Brother), Andy, at Auburn University in Auburn, AL. I have vague memories of the consumption of vast quantities of alcoholic beverages, late night trips to Krystal's for sacks of burgers, and crippling hang-overs.

Mostly, I remember AndyMan and his girlfriend- a proper Southern Belle who, I don't doubt, continues to have nightmares about this incident- driving me and my badly hung-over classmates over many hills and winding roads in his ancient Volkswagen beetle, ostensibly to a party at a lake. We stopped for food. This was not a good idea. I opted for Strawberry NeHi and a moonpie- an even worse idea: I promptly deposited those items on a constable's feet, ala Animal House, very early in the trip. My nausea necessitated a shift in seat assignments. Andy's girlfriend, Lisa, had to move to the back seat between Commander and Mac. Mac was a "playa", back before they called Lotharios "playas", and was leering at Lisa. Commander? Well, Commander was, er, unique. Poor Lisa looked anywhere for relief. She looked desperately to Commander, who looked back at her with understanding, and, out of the blue, began to sing a commercial jingle to her: the Raisin Bran song. What? You don't remember the Raisin Bran song? Here. Let me refresh your memory:



Lisa, as you might imagine, was mortified. Sadly, relief was not to be had. Mac joined in. Then, feebly, so did I. Lisa looked imploringly at Andy in the rearview mirror. In the end, AndyMan joined in as well. Anyway, that's how I remember it. Deeper meaning? Nah. It was fun, though.

14 comments:

Mr. Matt said...

Don't forget the dumpster stop in the middle of nowhere. One of the guys in the car (can't remember which SuperDave it was) had to talk to Ralph, so we stopped at a big green dumpster in the country, hadn't even seen a car in 10 minutes, but the minute we stop so the guy (SuperD) can puke, people start flocking to the Dumpster like it's Mecca on Mohammad's B'day. They were everywhere, and poor guy (SuperD) puking his guts at and asking, "What are you lookin' at?" to the trash bearing citizens of Eastern Alabama.

superdave524 said...

Those people came outa nowhere. Like cockroaches in a Central Florida kitchen. I remember shaking off my shoe before re-entering the vehicle...

COL said...

COLLEGE

Chase Squires said...

Good times, man ... and a damn good story. That's why we go to college, for gosh sakes, the stories.

(SD, should've chosen a dumpster in the Upstate of SC, folks up there NEVER use a dumpster, they just chuck their stuff out the window)

superdave524 said...

Yeah, Col, we definitely had the Animal House thing working. Brother Herb Sparks even rode his motorcycle through another fraternity house because D-Day had done it.

College was a blast, Chase. Now, I gots to hear some Citadel stories. I gots to.

John in IL said...

When I was in college you could still smoke in the hallways...I think puking in dumpsters is still allowed.

superdave524 said...

John, I'm pretty sure I never actually made it to the dumpster.

superdave524 said...

...and what's your college, John? Col? Auburn, Sewanee and the Citadel are all represented.

Anonymous said...

Here. And no, there was no seminary.

superdave524 said...

Go, Fighting Bees!

Mr. Matt said...

SuperDave, I went to a "comedy" club last night, and the black comedian said he felt like a "Rasin in a bowl of white milk." He was looking for another brother, so he could have "Two Scoops." No lie, he said it.

Geez, no black people in a comedy club at an RV Park, who knew? ... Talk about a baited field for rednecks, if only it had been followed by bingo!

superdave524 said...

Chris Rock on the Blue Collar Comedy Tour. Remember when you and Steve and I were in that redneck/biker bar North of Tampa? All the caricatures of the regular patrons on the walls. We order Pabst's Blue Ribbons, and Steve orders a Heineken (to his surprise, but not ours, they have no Heinies). One or the other of us plays a Charlie Pride song on the overwhelmingly countri-fied jukebox. The bartender charitably comments that, given the way he sings, Charlie Pride ain't no... er, couldn't possibly be African-American. 'Member? Damn, Steve almost got us kilt, bumping into those biker dudes who were shooting pool.

Chase Squires said...

Ha, stories ... like the time we bought a case of beer but had no place to drink it, so we climbed a tree in the park outside the gates and drank until we fell out,

Or how I had a regular weekly Charleston Pass for midweek time off campus, but my friend, Jimmy, didn't, so each Wednesday, he crawl inside the trunk of his '72 Chevy Malibu, and I'd drive us off campus for an evening of carousing at the Blind Hog Tavern ... all good times, man.

superdave524 said...

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout, Chase.