Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Black Betty Smackdown 1: Ram Jam

I'm really not sure why I felt the need to do a Black Betty Smackdown. I was diligently doing my YouTube research, and was amazed to find several very different versions of a song that has already received more than its 15 minute allotment of fame. Okay, I guess that's why I did it. Anyway, the version most of America first heard was early 1970's by a one-hit wonder, Ram Jam. I remember on an episode of "The Gong Show" where two guys dressed in the same huge pair of over-alls danced to this version. Apparently, none of the rest of America was too enthralled with that bit, as I have not found it on YouTube.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom Jones, bitches!

Anonymous said...

If that didn't work, try this.

superdave524 said...

Excellent choice, John (in fact, somewhere in the recesses of my mind, I'm fairly sure I recall your posting Tom singing this tune). I do believe we'll see Tom again.

Mr. Matt said...

Ram Jam, a one-hit wonder? Hey, I had their albumn. They let it out with "Keep your hands on the Wheel" months before the Georgia Satellites did!

Mr. Matt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mr. Matt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mr. Matt said...

I couldn't get the linky thing to worky. But any way this "cut and paste" will Lance the competition:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kum4O_fh0_E&feature=related

Darn!

Star said...

I love that song. And if I'm not mistaken, there was a band in the 90's who sang it too...but can't find it. Do you know who I'm talking about? I'd like to have that on my MP3 player this weekend...

superdave524 said...

Okay, AndyMan, Cheryl Crow makes the list, too.

Star, check and see if the next post isn't your group.