Saturday, July 5, 2008

Old Crow Medicine Show Show.

My oldest, Davis, called me Thursday afternoon and invited me to go to a folk-bluegrass show on nearby Hilton Head Island with him and his buddy, Matt. Yesterday, I told you about the roadtrip; today, the show. I'd never heard of Old_Crow_Medicine_Show, but Davis assured me I'd like it, and that we'd all have fun. He was right; it was a blast. Evidently, I've been out of the loop for awhile. Old Crow Medicine Show have been making waves for eight years or so. Their Wikipedia article includes a description that sounded about right: "Old Crow Medicine Show is a young five-piece rollicking, punkified old-time acoustic band".

Can a bluegrass band rock? You better believe it.

Check out two generations worth of folks having a great time. The silver-haired dude to the right facing the leprecaun to his left. The crowd, while quite Euro-centric, covered the gamut of ages from about seven to about seventy, and all of them were having a great time.

Ketch, Willie and Morgan git 'er done.

"I Hear Them All" has evidently gotten some props.


The crowd favorite was Wagon Wheel, from their first CD. The energy was great, and most of the crowd was singing along. The Old Crow Medicine Show've got another gig on the Fourth, in Charleston. They open for The Dave Matthews Band. Man, I wish I'd gotten tickets.

6 comments:

John in IL said...

Sorry. I need a hand clap, whistle, ringing bell or an orchestra hit to really like a song.

superdave524 said...

Well, John, that's why they make more than one flavor of icecream, I guess.

Mr. Matt said...

I love OCMS, can't believe you guys went without me :-(

superdave524 said...

I'd've invited you, but I'd never heard of them. Davis mentioned the concert a couple of weeks ago. I didn't give it a thought. Then Thursdday afternoon he asked me if I was ready to go. "To what?", I asked. He said they were really good and really big at Sewanee, and they were Bluegrass. I've listened to Bluegrass, but always thought most of the performers were posers: rich dudes singing about being poor. But these guys seemed real. And I'm telling you, they are great live. I like the videos, but these guys were hot on Thursday. I know you like Bluegrass, Ange, and if I'd've paid attention to what my boy was saying, I'd've invited you, for sure. On the way back home, Matt and Davis were arguing about what KIND of Bluegrass they were: Newgrass? No. Prograss (progressive bluegrass)? No. They're traditional; they just have a lot more energy than a lot of the traditional bands, and they have songs about Cocaine and Methamphedamine, which, I'm guess, Bill Monroe did not.

Chase Squires said...

Waright, gotta love pix of the band! Rock and Roll ... next step, drop everything you're doing the next time the Explorer's Club is playing in their hometown, Charleston, or anywhere else nearby ...

And get a picture of you with them! Tell 'em the guy in Colorado sent ya!

superdave524 said...

Chase, I might, possibly, potentially, perhaps, try to get my picture with Explorer's Club because you did it and told me to; got to tell you though, I'm not sure how you do it. Strange. I just finished tell you how I didn't embarrass easily, but there's got to be some reason I hesitate to ask the band for a pic.