Sunday, July 27, 2008

I Like to Move It, Move It.



Before I came to work for the Public Defender's Office, I had a private, solo law practice in nearby Ridgeland, SC. I had a little building, that used to be a little house, across from the County Courthouse. Though I never made a lot of money, I actually had a fair number of cases. Cases mean casefiles. Casefiles mean storage.

My office building was small, so I got a little 8x8 RubberMaid shed for my old files. When I began the process of closing down my private practice, I sold my building, but asked the new owner to allow me to keep my shed on the premises. She initially said that would be fine, but had grown weary of my use of her space. Last week, she'd had enough. "Move the shed", she said. So I did.

I rented a U-Haul truck, and bribed my neighbor Big John, and one of his buddies to help me dis-assemble, unpack, and move the shed and the boxes contained therein into the truck, then re-assemble the shed in the Boro and replant the boxes.

Big truck for a little shed. Still, the monster truck was only ten dollars more than the more appropriately sized one.

With anywhere from ten to fifty files per box in the seventy-five or so boxes in there, you'd'a figured I'da made a killing in my seven years of private practice. You'd be wrong. Good thing we got the big truck after all. We still had to fit the shed in there.

Here lies my private practice. R.I.P.

The files are now safely resting behind the Manor. The Code of Ethics requires me to keep my files for several years. Good Lord, I hope noone needs me to actually find one.

9 comments:

Chase Squires said...

Man, you have to keep all that junk? I'd just throw it out, then tell the judge you lost it,

Anonymous said...

Have your older son help you go through the files and file alphabetically or file for the year of the file started.

Star said...

For a second there, I thought you'd burried the files. That may work in the Boro, but not here where we barely sit 5 feet above sea level...unless the files are waterproofed of course.

Mr. Matt said...

Man, I figure 2 Grand per file, you must be Rich. Richie Rich kind of Rich!

superdave524 said...

Yep, Chase, got to keep it for, I think, seven years. Actually, I s'pose I can get rid of some of the earliest ones, anyway. I'd be afraid to tell the judge I lost 'em. He might tell me I also lost my law license.

Thanks for stopping by, Tamv131. I have the boxes numbered, supposedly, and a list of the files in each box. Problem is finding the boxes. It'd actually only probably take me a few hours to find a given file. Then the problem becomes finding the few hours. I know that organization isn't my strong suit, so generally I had my secretary do all that stuff. Sadly, I don't have a secretary any more. I very well may take your advice in cross-indexing the box list alphabetically (mom was a librarian before she was a nun).

Star, Walterboro was founded by the brothers Walter who picked a high spot to escape the malaria that was then prevalent in the lowcountry. Still low, though. I'll probably shred the files, when the time comes.

Yeah, Ange, you'd think so. I probably should've got about two grand a file. Sadly, mine were more like $200 a file.

Anonymous said...

F*ck teh files...I'm all hot and bothered from the neighbor. He's got Daddy written all over him.

(sorry, I can't help myself)

superdave524 said...

I'm afraid Daddy is taken, John. He lives with the girl next door (though, she doesn't ACT like the girl next door). He's definitely, er, fit. I figured you'd like him.

Anonymous said...

I'll scratch her f*ck*ng eyes out.

And thanks for thinking of me. I made him my wallpaper.

(and I'm drinking to the guy who invented the asterisk********* (or shift 8, as I like to call it))

superdave524 said...

You're welcome, John.