Thursday, January 10, 2008

Great Swamp, Stupid Sign (three)

I've mentioned before that I really like Walterboro. The people are nice, and it has- for its size- really a lot of neat stuff.


One of the cool places in Walterboro is the Great Swamp Sanctuary. The Sanctuary is composed of several miles of running, hiking, biking trails right in the middle of town. The entrance is a block from my house, and, on the rare days that I run, the GSS is where I generally do it. The GSS came about largely because of the hard work and dedication of Walterboro's mayor, Charlie Sweat. I haven't been here a very long time, so I don't know Mayor Sweat, but an awful lot of people in Walterboro do, and everyone I've talked to gives him the lion's share of the credit for putting this wonderful project together. In a bizarre twist of fate, Mayor Sweat was very seriously injured when, while he was showing off his Sanctuary, a rogue golfcart hit him from behind, knocking him headfirst onto the asphalt. Seriously.

My Uncle Bob, standing by the entrance to the Great Swamp Sanctuary.






Walterboro does many things much better than towns much bigger than it is; sadly, signage is not one of them. I'm guessing that the sign designers sent along a template to the Town Council, which probably approved the format. Hence...



For the record, it's Ivanhoe Creek.

3 comments:

Mr. Matt said...

You say Potato, I say Name of Creek. I rolled a golf cart once, I didn't smoke it, but I rolled it. Beer and bad golf were involved.

superdave524 said...

...but did you make anyone go into the lake to fetch your clubs?

Chase Squires said...

True story, city of Nome, Alaska, got its name from the company hired to reproduce a map of the territory ... the original map makers noted the point of land that held a small settlement, but didn't know what it was called, so they wrote "Name?" next to it ... the map maker got the original, and assumed it was marked "Nome" ...

supposedly it's true, anyway.