Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Will My Vote Count?

My Belgian friend, Dirk, called me the other day to check up on the Presidential election. It seems that what America does has a profound effect on the rest of the world, which is why the whole "Sarah Palin didn't have a passport until 6:30 this morning", or whatever, seems to bug the folks in Europe. Anyway, Dirk asked me for whom I was going to vote. I actually already voted. Absentee ballots and early voting are ridiculously easy. I was not going to be able to vote in two weeks because of work, so I voted last Friday (local and circuit elections as well as president, congress and Senate. I voted for a few Democrats and a few Republicans. I didn't vote for Soil and Conservation Commissioner because I knew- and know- absolutely nothing about anyone running for the office).

I told him that, though I did vote for a Presidential candidate, that my vote probably wouldn't count for much because South Carolina is pretty solidly a "Red State" and that our State would elect delegates who would vote for McCain. He asked why America, the beacon of Democracy, did not have direct elections for president. How was it possible that America, the beacon of Democracy, could have a system where a presidential candidate could win, as Bush did in 2000, with not only not a majority of the votes cast, but not even the most votes of the candidates running. I told him that, best as I could figure, the electoral college was designed so that people would have to visit New Hampshire. Yeah, yeah, I know: balancing the power of individual states versus the tyranny of the majority of the country is why California and Wyoming get the same number of senators, but why can't we trust our citizens enough to allow the majority of them to decide who gets to be the president? I know this post is, like, SO seven and a half years ago, but the question is still relevant.

Votes in Florida, Ohio and North Carolina matter. Those are "swing states". If either candidate gets a plurality of the votes, they get that state's votes. McCain conceded Michigan. A vote for McCain there is a just something to do for a couple of hours. The pollsters- and history- suggest that a vote for Obama in South Carolina is the same. It would be nice if all of our votes actually counted- wherever in America we live. At least my vote only took about ten minutes.

7 comments:

Chase Squires said...

Hey, you never know .... Pollsters this time, I predict, are going to be way off one way or the other. Couple theories: They're overcounting Barack supporters because his supporters are so fervent and willing to talk with anyone who asks, while McCain voters are voting for him with lukewarm approval, but he's the best they've got.

Or, they're undercounting Barack votes because so many young people and less affluent people and first timers are behind him, and many don't have home phones, only cell phones, which are largely being ignored by pollsters.

... either way, I'll be surprised if there isn't some kind of surprise when the counting's done.

superdave524 said...

You could be right, Chase. Polls have their place, but should reflect behavior rather than influence it. We ought to know something in a couple of weeks, anyway.

kate said...

You could actually *name* who you're voting for, ya know...come on. Death threats are fun!

Two hour waits in Florida for early voters. But I'll get there!

Star said...

I just hope that the genious Florida head of polling has it all figured out this time around.

And I also hope there's not really a two-hour wait for early voting. Of course, if there are as many swingers around as you claim, then we could have fun while we wait!

superdave524 said...

Obama, of course, Kate. I also voted for Lindsey Graham for Senate (Republican. There was a Democrat running, but I was way not impressed), Democrat for Coroner, Republican for Solicitor (the "D.A."- "Duffy" is an alright guy), Democrat Jim Clyburne for Congress. Democrats for school board and county council. Democrat incumbant for Statehouse. Yes on constitutional amendment to allow legislature to reduce age of consent from 16 years of age to 14 yoa, no to con'al amendments to allow state and local government retirement funds to more easily invest in the stock market. I think that's all of them.

Hubba, hubba, Star.

John in IL said...

You should inform your Belgian friend that we, in the US, live in a republic, not a democracy.

superdave524 said...

True, John, but generally in the sense that we don't gather at town meetings to vote on individual issues. There was a time when Senators were elected by the House; I don't think we need to return to that system. There are some positions I think absolutely should not be decided by the general electorate. I prefer SC's system of elected judges by the legislature to FL and other states which allow the direct election of judges, because I think the judiciary is better served by being insulated from the electorate. It's already pretty tough to find judges that don't savor the reputation of "tough on crime" without throwing in a direct appeal to the electorate. The electoral college is anachronistic and seems to have contributed to the huge division we feel in America. Time to get rid of Red State/Blue State and really be Americans.