Saturday, October 4, 2008

Ouch!

The Lads had some company over Friday Night. They were all horsing around outside, when the youngest twin (by five minutes), Taylor, let out a howl of pain. "Dad! Something shocked me!". He was hopping up and down, holding his hand. "It's some sort of weird insect".







I smashed it with the first thing I could find, which was a phonebook. A Walterboro phonebook is not an impressive sight: Five by seven inches and about half an inch thick. Still, it's more than a match for most insects. I collected up the quarry, and took a closer look. Ah, here we go. Appropriately catalogued Caterpillar under "O" for Ouch! Wonder what kind it is.



Hmmm. Apparently, Taylor was attacked by a Saddleback Caterpillar. Looks like they won't kill you. A little soap and water and a cold washrag and Taylor should be good to go.

8 comments:

kate said...

The caterpillar looks like it's wearing a little sweater that weird old ladies put on their dogs.

A Taylor-made sweater of some kind...

Jeez that was bad. I've been "hanging" around you too long.

QuakerJono said...

Ah, nature. As full of variety and grossness.

Some of those caterpillars...I'm looking at you, Puss Caterpillar...ick.

Chase Squires said...

You know what's nice, and I never get tired of the novelty, is leaving your door wide open, no screen, no worries ... and no bugs. I swear, Denver has the fewest bugs of any place I've ever lived ... weird.

.... and while I brag, I must remind myself, the radiators came on last night for the first time. Summer's over.

superdave524 said...

...and don't think I don't appreciate it, Kate.

QJ, that's why I'm generally not a camper ("happy", "good little" or otherwise).

Denver really does sound like a great place, Chase. The Boro has relatively few bugs for the Lowcountry. Just in case, neighbor John made me some screens. Doesn't protect you from outdoors, though.

Mr. Matt said...

Ahh, you aint living till you have 3 spiders playing Dance Revolution on your leg as you break those first few webbs at Croom on a muggy October morning. As Jon said, hey those Banana Spiders are cute!

Star said...

Seriously...do you three guys carry your cameras around your necks, or what?

John in IL said...

EWWW. Scary, ugly, Southern bugs scare the hell out of me. Thank god we get a hard frost in IL. It kills all that nastiness that is nature (and Chase, I turned my heat on last night, too.)

superdave524 said...

Well, that's what you get for going outside, Andy. Banana spiders just look evil. I know they're not supposed to be harmful, but they just look... wrong.

Star, I like taking pictures, and sometimes I do take my camera with me just in case a good photo opportunity presents itself.

John, life is filled with trade-offs: I like warm weather; so, apparently, do bugs.