Saturday, October 25, 2008

Hush Puppies are Dumb.

I always liked Hush Puppies, but I've never had any in my adult years. I bought a pair on Thursday (on sale 50% off at Belk's). Tina would not have approved. Mom would have found them inappropriate for work. Dad? "Son, you're a boy. Why are you talking about shoes?" I actually do enjoy grocery shopping, and I don't mind giving restaurants my hardly earned ducats; however, the act of shopping for items that may reflect personality (or might require spending large sums of money) has historically been painful for me. For the lion's share of my existence, I let other people define me, I guess. I enjoyed competition whether in football or in court because I could measure my value. If I won, I must be okay. If you laughed at my jokes, I must be okay. I still like telling jokes. I still enjoy being around people, but I don't need it like I used to need it. I don't mind my own company anymore. One goal (or result) of enlightenment is to quiet the chattering monkeys in our minds. A Buddhist reference, I think. Oddly, as my old Eastern Philosophy classes begin to take hold, I become a better Western Capitalist: I shop; therefore I am? No: I am okay; therefore I shop.

While searching YouTube for an old Hush Puppies commercial, I found these guys. Pretty cool.

13 comments:

my friend Amy said...

Those kicks are classics. With your favorite khaki pants/white button down, you be da bomb. Sadly, at first glance in that outfit, many will think you've voted republican for president or you're a REALLY old catholic school student.

John in IL said...

or Matlock.

(and great song/vid!)

jrtnutt said...

Dave, I love Hush Puppies. The shoes and the kind you eat. BTW...still on vacation, but checking in every once in a while. Still have to get online to check on my son and the JRT Maddie so figured I would pop in and say hello.

Mr. Matt said...

Or Matlock! That's great, gotta get the light blue suit though.

Hush Puppies, I've been boycotting them since high school, the dude sold me a ragged-ass pair, when I got 'em home mom said, "What did I tell you on that 1st day of Kindergarten? That's right, they'll fuck you, and young man at the HP stored fucked you son. He sold you ragged-ass shoes. Now go get unfucked, go take these shoes back."
So, I went back to the HP store, and the same dude says, "we can't take these shoes back, they're ragged-ass shoes, they've been worn." I'm like, "hey you sold them to me, like 2 hours ago! They were like this when I bought them."
He said, "Didn't your mom ever warn you about 35 year olds working at the mall. We'll fuck you, no go get a yogurt and get on home!"

I fuckin' hate Hush Puppies, er, yours are nice though.

superdave524 said...

You're a funny gal, Amy. I like the HPs even if they do look Republican.

For Matlock, John, got to go with the blue striped sear-sucker. Glad you liked the vid.

Still, Tam, you don't want to get your hush puppies confused (unless you like sole food).

You're a funny guy, Andy. And you really need to get back to bloggin'.

superdave524 said...

...and Andy, you didn't get screwed by mall salesmen as bad as I did. Remember when mom sent me to the mall with her credit card (she never really learned not to do that, did she?) for me to get a pair of dress pants for grad night? She told me not to spend too much. Slick salesman talked me into the most expensive pair they had. They were, like, fifty bucks (and that's 1978 dollars). Man, mom was pissed. Big argument. I wouldn't take 'em back. It was a week or so before my birthday, so I told her to just call it my birthday present. She did. For my 18th birthday I got a fiddy dollar pair of pants.

Mr. Matt said...

Well, I guess you could have just ridden up to chick-fil-a had a pickle scream and then come back and tole mom they wouldn't take them back becuse they'd been worn. Mall salesman do that afterall!

superdave524 said...

I was just thinking about pickle screams. Swear to Gawd.

John in IL said...

Care to fill the rest of us in on what a "pickle scream" is? (the mind wanders, ya know)

Star said...

At least they are not Crocks. Now THOSE are dumb shoes. Barely cute on kids, but definitely dorky on adults. If you are an adult: Please do not wear Crocks. (I'm not going to mention here that I bought a pair of thong Crocks at the airport on our way up to Umstead because I forgot to bring sandals and knew my feet would be too swollen for regular people shoes after the race and I still wear them every week).

superdave524 said...

Ah, John, the pickle scream. A Dan Podsobinski creation, it was. When we worked at Chic-fil-A, Dan would ask if we wanted to hear a pickle scream, then he'd put a pickle on the bun warmer and press down. The gases or whatever escaping the pickle made a high-pitched sound like a scream.

Star, a "thong croc"? That's what they're calling flip-flops these days?

kate said...

I've got my hush puppies on, I guess I never was meant for glitter rock 'n roll...

Love Jimmy Buffet references.

That's right.

I said it.

Jimmy. Buffett.

superdave524 said...

...and don't think I don't appreciate it, Kate.