Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Ah, Look at All the Lonely People.

With all the zillions of pictures from my Myrtle Beach adventure over the last two and a half posts (and really, I expected someone to comment about the naked guy in that one picture), I still did more stuff. Whilst there, I caught "Burn After Reading", a serious relationship movie disguised as a dark spy comedy. A Coen Brothers movie with John Malkovich, Brad Pitt, George Clooney and Francis McDormand had to be a winner, right? Well, yeah, kinda. The acting was good, the actors were cast in roles with which we'd be familiar: John Malkovich is sarcastic and edgy; George Clooney is a philanderer; Tilda Swinton, the White Witch from the Narnia Chronicles, is, well, a witch. Still, even though we care about them, we don't really like any of them. Well, I kind of liked J.K. Simmons as the CIA supervisor, because his character is really the only one that knows what he's doing. Francis McDormand knows what she wants, but it's not the same thing. Everyone is stupid and self-interested, and, mostly, lonely. The movie reeks of desperation. One of the scenes set in a public park shows bench after bench of hopeless, lost and lonely souls. Still, I liked it. I think. I'll probably watch it again on video. But next time, I think I'll try to watch it with someone. Got to cap this off with some music. "Message in a Bottle" by the Police? Nah, there's hope at the end of that one. I know, let's go with the Beatles:

6 comments:

Mr. Matt said...

SuperD, I LOVED this movie. Mostly because I went with someone who thought it was the worst movie ever, and I thought it was hilarous that I was laughing and she wasn't! I felt so darn superior, that don't happen a lot. Also, I loved seeing Brad Pitt as a nerd, I'm sorry, but he is so cool and he pulled off the nerd thing well.

Star said...

That WAS the White Witch! I couldn't get that out of my head throughout the movie. Quirky flick...especially the ending. Armando and I both liked it. Brad did play a good goofball.

Have you seen "Choke" yet?

kate said...

Naked pics don't really motivate others to comment. Not even when your breasts are covered with stickers and you're trying to raise money and get people to vote at the same time.

But I did raise a couple hundred dollars so that counts for something. No word yet on registered voters.

I think our audience is either bored with nudity or unimpressed.

At least it wasn't *you* in the picture.

superdave524 said...

Brad Pitt did do "dumbass" well, Ange. Not up there with Jim Carrey, yet, but good.

I like the commercials for Choke, Star. Is it good?

Kate, I tried to follow the links, but didn't have the ducats to get into the fully neked section.

kate said...

I got some wacky and weird comments, but at least they dropped some coin for a good cause.

I suppose they post those covered pics as teaser shots in the hopes they'll raise more money. Must've worked because this year, so far, we've raised over $8K. So that's something.

superdave524 said...

I love the idea, and it's great that you all have raised so much money. When my ship comes in...