Saturday, October 11, 2008

Now I'm Too Tired to Run

My baby girl (well, she's 18, but she'll always be my little girl) has had the blues lately, and she blessed me out for not spending enough time with her. I tried to think of a way to get her more physically active- which always makes me feel better and I figured would help her, too- and a way to spend more time with her. Hmmm. I know! I'll challenge her to run a 5K race with me. But how to convince her to run every day when I can't get over to Beaufort buy maybe once a week? Hmmm. I know! I'll get her an i-Pod with the Nike + i-Pod sport kit. She'll have tunes, and we'll be able to compare on-line running journals. So, on Monday I ordered her an i-Pod nano and a Nike + Sports kit to go with it.

The economy's bad, to be sure, but, for the moment at least, the we are still able to conduct commerce on a scale unimaginable even a few decades ago. I remember television shows from my youth where the older folks talked about Sears and Roebuck "wish books"- catalogues containing stuff that hardly any "regular folks" could actually afford, but which were for sale through the mail. I've done some catalogue shopping over the years. For the big stuff, I'd go to Sears or Penney's and find what I wanted in the catalogues, pay my money and place my order with the store clerk. If I had the big catalogue at home, I'd call in my order, but usually I'd still have to pick it up at the store. A few weeks later, I'd get a call that my package was in, and I'd drive up to the store and pick it up. Smaller stuff, say a shirt from L.L. Bean or something, they'd send right to the house of course, but you still had to wait a couple of weeks or so. The Internet has really juiced up the process. I got Caroline's gear on Friday. And just look at the turf the stuff covered:

My order is received, and the shipment begins in Shenzhen, China, just North of Hong Kong, on Tuesday Afternoon. It clears customs, and arrives in Anchorage, Alaska (where I don't know, but I assume, Sarah Palin was instantly able to learn more about Sino-American relations as a result).
From Anchorage, just look at thse items go! They're moving so fast, they ought to be at Indy. Oh, they are. From Indianapolis, IN to Memphis, TN. From Memphis, TN, to Charleston, SC. Finally, from Charleston to the Boro. Less than a week from order to arrival.
Check it out. My girl and I'll be knocking out a 5K in no time flat with this gear. And no McCain stickers. Fancy that.

11 comments:

John in IL said...

Wow. Not only are you superdave, you are a superdad.

we are still able to conduct commerce on a scale unimaginable even a few decades ago.

Amen. Thanks to technology and free trade.

superdave524 said...

Thanks, John. I do love my little girl. I'll let you know if it works.

...and, Technology and free trade are good, but we do need regulations and fiscal responsibility at home, though, to keep the Gummit and speculators from getting "drunk" and screwing up market confidence and drying up loans.

jrtnutt said...

What a great dad. I am sure she will appreciate it. Let us know how it goes.

superdave524 said...

I'm trying, Tam. Thanks.

Chase Squires said...

Ah, the iPod, the running aid to end all running aids ... hey, don't forget to download a podcast now and again as well, my friends do a great one at Stuck in the 80s (http://blogs.tampabay.com/80s/) and I also listen every day to NPR's "Marketplace," a great podcast on the financial world ... it's good do learn something on a run, and it makes me sound smart to say stuff like, "well, hey, with all that naked short selling and credit default swaps going on, this sort of correction was a long time coming"

Star said...

Wait a sec...did she actually agree to run a 5K...or did she say yes just for the i-Pod?

Oh, and btw: there's no better anti-depressant than running :)

superdave524 said...

Chase, I've only just gotten one myself, and I'll undoubtedly be asking for hints along and along. Right now I'm just trying to get a playlist.

Star, Caroline agreed to the run before she knew she was getting an i-Pod. She was very excited when I gave it to her. Will she stick with it? That's the big question.

John in IL said...

Technology and free trade are good, but we do need regulations and fiscal responsibility at home

Agreed. Not sure what that has to do with you getting your iPod from a far away place?

superdave524 said...

Not a thing. Sometimes, I just can't help myself.

my friend Amy said...

Hey my bother Jeff lives in Zhenzhen and you've even met the dude. The world's not such a big place after all. Just ask Thomas Friedman.

superdave524 said...

I like what comedian Steven Wright said, Amy: It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to carpet it.