Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Wednesday Night Lights.

I love football. Well, I love watching my kids play it, anyway. Mathews boys must play football. I was allowed to quit baseball (which is just as well. I wasn't very good at baseball), but there was no question that I would not be allowed to quit football. Dear Old Dad told my brother, the Amazing Ultra-Marathoner, AndyMan, and I (er, that's just two of us there. I know it sounds like three, but it's two) that he'd been honorable mention All-State at offensive guard back at Natrona County H.S. Okay, I'll grant you, the State was Wyoming, but it's still a State. Andy was a guard. I was a guard. I was bigger, faster, and stronger than my brother, but he was better. Andy was better than I was, because he tried his best every play. A few years ago, I asked him why he did every stupid thing that our coaches asked him to do over our years of football, and he told me, "It never occurred to me not to". That dogged determination has helped AndyMan to become an amazing athlete even now. He runs 100-mile events now. Boggles my mind, it does.

My oldest son was like his Uncle Andy in that way. Also like his dad and his uncle, Davis was a guard. He played defensive end, too. He never got heavier than 155 pounds, but he was good. Got the "Coach's Award" from Thomas Heyward Academy. Made a few of the prettiest plays on both offense and defense that I've ever seen. He studies poetry and classical languages in his senior year at Sewanee (The University of the South).

The Lads are like their Uncle Andy, too. They played their first game for the Forest Circle Middle School "Falcons" last night, which the Falcons won, six to nothing. They started at defensive end and offensive tackle as bookends. Taylor played all but three plays in the game; Tyler was only off the field for the one kick-off the Falcons received. Their blocking was stellar. Taylor had probably twelve tackles, including the first three tackles of the game and four "sacks"; Tyler had probably seven tackles, including three sacks. On one play they combined for a tackle of the running back behind the line of scrimmage- something they call a TnT slamwich. They were also prominent in a "goal-line stand". The other team, the Ruffin "Patriots"- who were supposed to be the best team in the league and who practiced two weeks longer than our squad- had the ball first and goal in a 6-0 ballgame with two minutes left in the game, and the Falcons kept them out of the end-zone. During the game the Principal came up and sat with me. One of the Lads had, unfortunately, already met with the Principal on some, uh... other matters, so it was a nice gesture. One of the players on the other team told my boys that they were the best on the field. It's probably wrong for fathers to try to bask in the reflected light of their sons' athletic glory. It's probably wrong.

10 comments:

Star said...

I'd rather lose all my toenails running than play football. Those guys are rough beasts. Of course if I were built like my trick-or-treater friend, I'd be more inclined to play I imagine.

superdave524 said...

Star, you ultra-runners tougher than most any football player out there, you just got a different set of skills and physical attributes. An elephant could crush a gazelle- if he could catch the gazelle.

Star said...

We're smarter too. Uhh, right?

jrtnutt said...

Bask in it Dave. There is nothing wrong with being proud of your children.

John in IL said...

You love your kids and they did well. I see nothing wrong with being proud about that. It didn't happen by accident.

superdave524 said...

Thanks, John and Tam. I do love my kids, but mostly, I just passed on those Swedish genes (but I think the fightin' part is, well, Irish). Their older brother got most of the good sense in the family. Caroline? Hmmm. She's my only little girl, but she may be the death of me.

Star, running a couple of miles a day is smart. Running ultras? I think I'll stick with tough!

John in IL said...

You are more than a sperm donor, Dave. Good genes help but you are their father. Be proud. You deserve it. Hell, I'm proud of you and I don't even know you

(And be proud of me. I resisted linking to a vid of hot football players)

superdave524 said...

Thanks, John. I reckon you know me as well as most folks who know me. As for the football studs, well, they apparently inadvertently left your name out of this article about Tom Brady from The Onion, but I still hope you'll find it amusing.

Mr. Matt said...

Yeah, I did every stupid thing the coaches said, including quitting tennis in favor of wrestling, because in the words of the coach, "tennis is for Pansies!"

Lots of 47 year old Greco-Roman wrestlers around right? Much more fun that playing tennis at 47.

I also quit cross-country as a sophmore because it interfered with 2-a-day football practice.

High School Football coaches are by and large not real smart and are just bullies.

I always encourage my athletes to play the sport that they WANT to play. I have an ex-runner whom I believe has the talent to win state in CC, but she wanted to try swimming this year. I gave her my blessings, after I told her she was throwing away a scholarship. I hope she has fun, it's her life and I'm glad she is smarter than I was!

superdave524 said...

Yeah, but you're tough, Ange, and you sure made Dad proud.