Friday, September 26, 2008

There Ain't No Tens. All in All, I'd Say Urinate.

It's official: we're now employees of the 14th Circuit Public Defender's Office. Though our branch is, for the moment, still in the Boro, our new H.R. office is in Beaufort. We had to be reoriented. Insurance plans, retirement funds, blah, blah, blah. I'm afraid I barely pay attention. I've now been oriented in three of the five counties in the 14th Circuit: I've gotten employee handbooks for Beaufort, Colleton and Jasper County (I actually helped re-write that one when I was County Attorney there). There are certainly differences, but the spiel sounds pretty much the same. To spice theings up a bit, when the nice lady asked if I had any questions, I asked if Beaufort County offered updawg. Poor gal walked right into it, "What's UPdawg?". "Nothing", I said, "What's up with you?". I did have one first, though. I finally got to pee in a cup. When I asked the lady if she'd let me take her picture, she asked me if I was SURE that I hadn't smoked any marijuana earlier in the day. I assured her that I acted that way a lot, and I was pretty sure I'd have a negative test. Still bugs me that I had to be tested.

7 comments:

John in IL said...

What? No pictures of teh peeing in teh cup?

superdave524 said...

Don't know whether I woulda taken that picture, but I know they wouldn't let me take my camera into the bathroom. I actually took a picture of the pee in the cup, but it just looked like pee in a cup, so I didn't use it.

Chase Squires said...

When I was at The Citadel, we had to pee in a cup constantly, it was like a sport, Dept. of Defense physical, ROTC physical, school phyisical, I swear I took them constantly .... we'd line up, one at a time, go into the john, pee in a cup with our name on it, and put it on the shelf ....

After a while, we developed a game: pee into the cup and fill it allllllll the way to the top, to the point it was almost overflowing.

Good times!

Anonymous said...

I would have failed the test.....

superdave524 said...

I filled mine as much as I could, Chase. I shoulda loaded up on water. Ah, she was a pretty nice lady, guess 3/4ths full is good enough.

Hey, everybody, Barry Bonds stopped by!

Mr. Matt said...

Bugs me that our students (including my daughter) are tested here at school. When they told us we were going to test our students, I asked, "What about the faculty? Isn't it more important that we're sober than that our students are?"

Yeah, you can imagine how that went over with the rest of the faculty. Can you say turd in a punch-bowl?

superdave524 said...

That's insane! Grown-ups are generally going to be able to tell if a student is high or drunk (well, the cool grown-ups, anyway). Guess it's a control thing.