Sunday, September 21, 2008

Roadtrip: Charleston

My shoes have been looking a bit sole-weary of late. Might be time for more. Sometime running partner Cathy said she was hunting shoes, too. Shoes can be procured in the Boro, but where's the fun in that? Besides, I had a hankering for Indian food, and that can't be purchased in the Boro. So, off we went.

This might do the trick. The buffet looked good. I have no idea what I was eating, but it had curry. Suits me.

Downtown Charleston is a cool place to just wander around and look at the people. It was a Saturday, so not so many of the professionals that are omnipresent on weekdays, but still a good mix of tourists and College of Charleston kids. Didn't see a lot of Citadel cadets; I think they had a football game.

There's a ton of neat stuff to see in Charleston: The Aquarium, the Citadel, Fort Moultrie, Market Street, The Battery, Carriage Tours, big old historic Churches, Restaurants galore (and Kaminski's for dessert), lots of stores (sadly, Millenium Music closed down a few months ago, but there are still lots of shops), but we were on a mission for shoes. And shoes we got. The proprietor was helpful; though she in no way wanted to touch our old shoes.

We wanted to score some eclairs on the way back. This place had some good-looking stuff, but no eclairs. Oh, well. We got shoes and Indian food. Two out of three ain't bad.

I'm not much of a shopper; generally, when I find something I like, I just get a new one of whatever I'd had before. Before my first and only marathon (Jacksonville, 2002), I'd gotten a pair of Mizuno Waverunners. Those are the only kind of running shoes I've owned since then up until now. I let the lady get me back to the Asics of life. I may even try them out. Monday.

14 comments:

Chase Squires said...

Well, the ole place hasn't changed much since I was there ... Gerald's still selling recaps?

Yep, big game yesterday afternoon, The Citadel whupped up on those yankee boys from Princeton :-)

(out here if you order indian food you get buffalo and pemmican!)

superdave524 said...

Go, Bulldogs!

superdave524 said...

(and Gerald's is still in bidniss).

Star said...

Ooooh I love Indian food. The hotter, the better. But NEVER the night before along run...take my advice. I like the new runners...you should be really fast now!

superdave524 said...

Is that why they call it the runs?

John in IL said...

You ate Indian food at a Pizza Hut? Weird. And that Cathy is cute. Why aren't you dating her (or are you)?

superdave524 said...

That does look like a Pizza Hut. Hmmm. Wonder if it used to be one. Cathy is a neat person. Her husband would probably get upset if she and I dated, though.

John in IL said...

I guess that would be a problem.

She still is cute.

Lynne said...

Like your color choice in those shoes - orange and blue !

Actually, I have a pair identical to those. But you run faster in yours :)

superdave524 said...

Oh, Man, Lynne, did I accidentally pick up Gator colors? Shoot. Well, Imo pretend it's, uh, UAB. Go, Blazers!

Mr. Matt said...

SuperD,
Use them Chucks well, you're running for both of us now, I'm taking a coupla months off, getting my feet in order!
AMan

superdave524 said...

I'll see you X-mas. Or, how 'bout Thanksgiving? Maybe another Turkey Bowl? Anyway, if'n you can cash in the plane tickets, we can have a party or sumpin' with the money. I hate asking for refunds (but I hate wasting money more).

COL said...

enjoy the new kicks!

superdave524 said...

Thanks, Col.