Thursday, March 27, 2008

Kiwi Time.






My first exposure to New Zealand came about seventeen years ago when I met Cindy and Gavin, who were from the place. This was a fairly extreme party time in my life, when we'd go through bartender books to prepare drinks with things like layers of liquors, frequently topped with flames. Perhaps you've had one of those nights where someone starts calling out names of drinks- new and old- that sound "interesting"? Slippery Nipples, Flaming Doctor Peppers, Sidecars, Rusty Nails, Pink Ladies, and Sidecars, anyone? On quiet, still mornings, I can still hear my head throb from the hangovers those nights produced. Anyway, Cindy and Gavin definitely came along at the right time. I remember Gavin's boast that he could drink my well-stocked bar dry. He didn't, but not from lack of effort. Those days were a long, long time ago. Three glasses of Scotch qualifies as a "wild night" these days. In any event, though I haven't heard a thing about them in probably fifteen years, I think of Cindy and Gavin from time to time. This post is dedicated to the Land of the Kiwi. A tip of the hat to anyone that can name the link between each photo or clip and New Zealand.




18 comments:

Dr. Maguse said...

pain in the ass... pink panty pull-down... off to Adobe Gilas with my 64 oz mug for frozen drinks.

superdave524 said...

Adobe Gilas? Z'at like Dobey Gillis, played by Bob Denver, featured prominently in the comments to Chase's blog? That Adobe Gilas?

Fish daiquiries in lawschool when we ran out of mixers but still had ice and rum.

Beam-me-up Scotties.

Dr. Maguse said...

I always believed Adobe created its name from Dobey...or maybe the founder was drunk when he named the place.
I think these dopeys (er, i mean dobeys) are only in FL.
A few weeks back, I was going to post some pics of my 64 oz adobe drink...maybe i'll do that now...
D'oh B

Dr. Maguse said...

yarp, i posted something.

in ohio too... don't know why

superdave524 said...

pain in the ass... pink panty pull-downs? Those are drinks, right, Mags?

Dr. Maguse said...

At Adobe's, although I know some pains in the ass.

sunny48 said...

The most dedicated to drinking beverage I ever had was a fruit cocktail daquiri with tons of splinters because the drunken bartender got carried away with a wooden spoon. Yum, fiber. Slammers, anyone?

Dr. Maguse said...

http://www.hosteroo.com/~adobegil/south/drinks_tampa.php

Dr. Maguse said...

and there's a red headed slut...
i'm insulted

superdave524 said...

fuzzy navels, sloe gin fizz...

Chase Squires said...

Hey, I've actually done that thing with the wooden spoon getting all chopped up ... Was I at your party? ... the whole thing's kind of hazy.

QuakerJono said...

Sometimes these comments read like James Joyce's Ulysses. Not that it's a bad thing...

superdave524 said...

'Course, eventually you gotta slow down, otherwise, as with Joyce, you'll stop altogether.

Anonymous said...

huh?

Mr. Matt said...

I know the guy with the beard got killed by Orlando Legalos is the river rat scene in LORIII.

superdave524 said...

John, in addition to being a writer of great repute, James Joyce was noted for his epic drinking, before it killed him at, what? forty?. QJ mentioned the writing (I actually haven't read Joyce, though my oldest studied his works for a semester in Ireland), I mentioned the drinking.

AndyMan definitely got the Lord of the Rings connection (though in an intentionally scrambled way). Peter "Rabbit" Jackson is a Kiwi, and most of the Ring trilogy was filmed in New Zealand.

C'mon, you guys aren't even trying. Alright, if you can name the groups in the clips, I'll move on to something else.

my friend Amy said...

Otara Millionaires Club
Flight of the Conchords
Give me a wave in the rear view mirror.

superdave524 said...

Thank you, Amy.