Tuesday, February 12, 2008

We Are Sophomoric!

Here's the thing about entertaining adolescents: they like adolescent humor. I do too, of course (coarse?) because I'm, well, a guy; however, like white chocolate, a little goes a long way. The lads had worked hard on their homework and made some progress on their science fair project (Taylor, pictured at left, demostrates a principle of permeability in potatoes), and I thought they deserved a break, so I took them to the half mile to the Boro's sole movie theater to see "Meet the Spartans".
I was aware that it starred Carmen Electra and Kevin Sorbo, so I wasn't expecting, you know, acting. The beautiful thing about having no expectations is that it's really hard to be disappointed. Diedrich Bader- he of The Drew Carey Show and Whose Line is it Anyway?- was actually pretty watchable as the aptly named Traitorus. And who doesn't like seeing a kindly Granny and her tough little Spartan grand in a slug-fest? Okay, that was rhetorical. I feel quite certain there are people who would not enjoy watching that- just none who would be at "Meet the Spartans".
The best part of the whole experience? The lads' reaction. "It was pretty good. I guess a seven and a half. Those kinds of movies are... a little much". Now, I'm down with that.

7 comments:

Mr. Matt said...

Hey, Chase liked Cloverfield, he may like this one (though he didn't like Fred Clause, perhaps if Santa had been Santa Claws, he would have liked that one too!)

Chase Squires said...

Fred Claus was just boring, that was its problem, it wasn't even offensive ... Diedrich Bader, my favorite role for him was in Office Space as the next door neighbor ... "Hey, Peter, man, turn on Channel 9 ... "

superdave524 said...

Yeah, D'Bade was good in Office Space, too. We are the Spartans was pretty much exactly what you'd expect from the trailers. Unlike "Epic Movie", I was able to finish this one.

Mr. Matt said...

Chase, Fred Claws, get it? Monster with Claws. Slides down the Chimney, transforms, terrorizes 7 continents. (er, do Muslims and such get commercial Christmas with Santa? I don't see why not, it's good enough for American Jews)

superdave524 said...

American Jews? Sounds like a beverage. Would you like some orange jews? No thanks, I'll have the American Jews. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Mr. Matt said...

The Battle of Little Big Horn was fought over.. Shoot, there's the bell, I gotta go to work now.

superdave524 said...

...150 years ago?