Friday, February 22, 2008

SpongeBobMobile




Funny things happen to normally sane men when they fall head-long out of their fourth decade of living and into... the decades that follow. In 2000, the fortieth anniversary of the birth of Bill and Lydia's oldest son (er, that would be me), I quit a secure (if somewhat dull) job as County Attorney advising a small county on ordinances and doing a little bit of trial and appellate work, to go into solo private practice, ran for the Statehouse (I lost by about 150 votes out of about 15,000 cast), and got separated after about 14 years of marriage, and later divorced. 2001 I mostly pouted. In 2002, within the span of six or seven months following the 42nd anniversary of my birth, I, in order: ripped the tendon in my right biceps off of the bone while playing flag-football, bought a yellow mustang convertible, ran the Jacksonville marathon with my friend Cathy, and had surgery to re-attach my biceps.

My amazing Ultra-Runner brother, AndyMan met me in Jax. I asked him what he thought of my ride. He looked at me the way you are supposed to look at a 42 year old dude who has just bought a car marketed for 18 year old Marine recruits, and told me it was the ugliest car he'd ever seen. I told him its name was SpongeBob, owing to its color, and the SpongeBob airfreshener I had hanging from my mirror (We finished the marathon, by the way, though they timed me with a calendar). I went back home and got the surgery that I might should've gotten before the marathon. After my surgery, I asked the surgeon if I could play football again. He looked at me like you are supposed to look at a 42 year old dude who asks if he can still play football, and recommended golf. I don't think he liked the SpongeBobMobile either. But they love it at the Waffle House.

25 comments:

Dr. Maguse said...

Great story. But where's the 21 yr. old hot blonde?

my friend Amy said...

You took the lads to waffle house for dinner? Thought you had enough of those blueberry pea cakes this season.

Chase Squires said...

Could be worse, could've bought a Miata, a car marketed to 20something girls.

Err. That's what I bought. It's okay, I'm secure. enough.

You know, if you'da gone to The Citadel, you'd have won that state house race.

superdave524 said...

Mags, everyone's got their own way to work through these issues, I guess. Uncle Bob bought a motorcycle.

Amy, yeah, Waffle House. Especially after church. Never had pea-cakes at the awful Waffle.

Chase, I've heard about the long gray line thing. No doubt it woulda helped. Alas, I'd done the higher education thing in TN and FLA already. And the Miata is a pretty cool car, couldn't consider it 'cause it doesn't have a back seat and, well, I do have a hunnerd kids or so. Those marketers don't know everything.

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad. My 70 year old mother drives a red Mustang convertible. She likes all the attention she gets from those Marine recruits.

(And SBSP rocks!)

superdave524 said...

John, sounds like your mom is a cool customer. And SBSP does, indeed, rock.

Mr. Matt said...

Hey I love the Sponge Bob mobile. I just didn't think you know going from a Conversion VAN, because of you know having 4 kids, to a Mustang which holds, er 1 passenger, was very practicle! No, I love the car. I didn't love it much as we were driving back from the GEER 100K in Virginia where I was the shortest person (at 6'1") so I had to sit in the back seat, which isn't really a seat, more of a compartment. But if it's you and me or you and a broad, I love the car!

superdave524 said...

The car is not roomy, especially in the back seat (or, so I'm told), and you guys were troopers for enduring the inauspicious return in the 'Bob after 66.6 miles up and down the mountains; nevertheless, Bubba, if you're six one, I'm six three. The Sewanee football guide listed me at six three, but football coaches are not necessarily known for their candor.

Dr. Maguse said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dr. Maguse said...

I swear you're 6'2", AMAN. When I wore those 5" heals to school last week, we were eye level.

my friend Amy said...

Andy,
Watch your language man.
We are babes not broads.

superdave524 said...

Ange- Guess I got to be quick to catch you. First, I only get the edited potty shot (but, really, I'm not complaining), now Amy and Mags know your response, but gots to guess. Ah, well, I'll assume it was something like, "eat my shorts, D-Man!".

Lynne said...

Amy, I caught that too. Thank you for putting AMan in his place.

I know we would never hear that out of Superdave ! :)

superdave524 said...

Jeez, I miss everything.

Chase Squires said...

Well if that's the case, stay out of my bathroom. Just sayin' ... we aim to please.

Star said...

I totally dig the mustang, yellow or not. Someday I will have a 1967 Shelby GT 350. Does that mean I'LL pick up 20 year old blondes too???

superdave524 said...

Bathroom "posting": We aim to please, you aim, too, please. or We aim to please, your aim will help.

Star, if that's what you're looking for, then, yeah, a Mustang would help. If it's a Shelby? Ooooh! I've got goosebumps!

Chase Squires said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chase Squires said...

That was me deleting a post, didn't read who had posted it .. here's the corrected...

Ba dum, ding!

Star, that '67 shelby now, will help you pick up 47 year old public defenders from South Carolina ...

superdave524 said...

Yeah, well, Chase, I don't really think she's in the market. I've checked Star's blog. Appears she's already set with some Swiss dude, right, Star?.

Mr. Matt said...

Yeah, I've run with Star, she doesn't need a Mustang, she could be in a Rolls Canardly and still pick up 20-year old dudes, if she wanted.

Whoa Dave, the comment to which they refered was my insensitive use of the term "Broads." For that I apologize (ish, I was just joshin') And, darn, You mean I'm not 6'1" Shoot! I thought there were 10 inches in a foot. I mean I wear a size ten on my foot!

superdave524 said...

Ange, I doubt I know anyone that has more respect for women than you do, so you get no beef from me for your attempt at "broad comedy". Now, on the measurement thing, I'm thinking of going metric. That way, I only weigh, like, 14 stone.

Star said...

Hey if I can't be a fast runner, then I'll have a fast car, dig me? Broads compensate too I suppose. And I have no idea what Andy is talking about. Apparently he didn't see me after the nasty muddy rainy run on Saturday....uhhh, unless he's into that kind of thing ;) Where's my sister when I need her??

Star said...

Yeah, the Swiss aren't great at making cars, but they are very good at making.......chocolate. What did you think I was going to say???

superdave524 said...

Swatches.

Oh, I get what Andy was talking about now. Well, he's definitely faster now than I am, and he can most definitely run farther, but I'm still taller.