Friday, February 29, 2008

Tributes!

Chase Squires opined that I was pretty safe in offering four commenter tributes, as that is pretty much the number of commenters I can count on. Well, pffft! I got five commenters. Okay, I grant you there was a surprise lurker to bring the total to five, but, of course, any number of others might've logged in, but, you know, didn't on account of the game already being "locked" and all. So, here we go:

Chase was actually harder to shop for than I figured. "Chase" yielded a couple of decent possibilities, and I briefly (very briefly) considered a chase from the Benny Hill Show. Nah. "Squires" gave a fair number of hits, and I seriously considered a Spiderman 3 clip set to the tune of Billy Squiers' The Stroke. It was actually pretty neat, but didn't feel right. I know Chase likes Paperbird, and flirted with a couple of their videos. No, not the right theme. Well, while Chase is far from a one-trick pony, it is fair to say he runs a little. A hunnerd K here, a hunnerd miler there. That sort of thing. Probably he has tons of running songs already. The Distance? Oh, THAT'S original. Not. Anyway, I found a video with a running theme and a heart-beat rhythmn and an interesting series of clips, so I went with it (though I really liked No Doubt's "Running", too).



Good to hear from John. John's witty, seems fun, and I check his blog regularly. I'd wondered where he went off to. Johnny Cash? Nah. Jimmy Dean's "Big John"? No, the sausage king doesn't deserve the affiliation. David Bowie's always been one of my favorites, and the following is Bowie at his glam-rocking peak. Hope you like it.



Sunny48? I think I know who you be. You picked the moniker, so there is really only one song, isn't there? Bobby Hebb's Sunny is a nice song, but his version doesn't look as good on video as James Brown's. And he was from South Carolina, too.



Amy did beat Andy, but she graciously allowed the Amazing AndyMan to share her tribute. They actually have quite a bit in common. They're both competitive. Both run. Both coach cross-country. Hmmm? I've never seen them in a room together either, now that I think about it. Oh, and they both teach. Well, that settles it (and it allows me to post one of my all-time favorite songs).

7 comments:

Mr. Matt said...

Smokin Hot post.
I always call SuperDave when I have a question about group or artist and he always knows the answer (or at least the people I have a bet with and I believe he does, and isn't that what's important, getting the bet settled? Our survey say... ding, ding, ding.)
Check out intheslam for a SuperDave Tribute.

superdave524 said...

Your taste in music matured. Mine didn't. So, I remember stuff from 1978, because I still listen to it. Anyway, I know you like Nick Lowe, and hope you liked the video.

my friend Amy said...

Most excellent video choices my friend. I'll keep teaching, you keep working on bringing that grade up. And I pitty the fool who doesn't log onto Andyman's slam for SuperDave's tribute.

Anonymous said...

Great songs all, Dave. I love early Bowie. Thanks!

superdave524 said...

Amy, John, I'm glad you liked them, and I'm always glad when you stop by.

Chase Squires said...

Perfectly appropriate, who's the band? I like 'em ... !

And trust me, more than a few times runnin' up that hill, I've made a deal with God: "Please, big guy, lemme get up over this hill ... I swear I'll (insert lame promise that a supreme being would even give a blink about here)" ...

I put up a trib of my own for ya ... from my favorite book and film.

superdave524 said...

The band is Placebo. I don't own any Placebo, but I liked the song. Kate Bush also does a version of Running Up Hill that is pretty good, but I liked the edge on this one better.