Thursday, February 28, 2008

i-Pod, u-Pod, we All-Pod


The Lads get an allowance. By alternate weeks, one takes out the trash, the other feeds the dogs and cat. They don't always do their chores, but with allowances you make allowances. The Lads announced that they wanted me to raid the savings accounts into which their swag has been deposited to purchase i-Pods. Seems they want to take a more active role in ignoring their teachers. So, Saturday we pay respects at the real temple of the rural South, Walmart, and drop a few of the twins' barely earned ducats for a couple i-Pod Shuffles. The Nanos will undoubtedly follow, whenever they know more than fourteen songs to download. New sets of parent moments will ensue: "If I can hear it, it's too loud!" Response: "What?"; "No, you may not listen to Metallica in Church!" Resolution: Tyler removed the earbuds when the Procession started; "No, you may not take your i-Pod to school" Resolution: "You may take your i-Pod to school". Sigh. Keep on Rockin' in the Free World.

10 comments:

Chase Squires said...

Hey, this audio book doesn't make any sense, there's all these flashbacks and flashforwards, characters coming in who haven't been introduced, story elements that don't make sense ... what? I shouldn't listen to an audio book on an iPod Shuffle?

Oh.

superdave524 said...

Music, Chase. You're not supposed to do the shuffle (sounds like a disco-dance, no?) with books or movies (unless it's Quinton Tarantino, then it's okay).

kate said...

Oh good lord, I hate those things. As a teacher I just want to throw them out the window.

Yes. I am one of those hardass teachers who won't let the students listen to ANYTHING even though "all the other teachers do."

Were you surprised?

superdave524 said...

Nope. Are you surprised that I was an awful student?

Mr. Matt said...

Dave, an awful student? No! Stampeding cattle through 6th grade (true story), separating himself from the rest of class.... AT DISNEY, ditching on alternate Wednesday's (actually the teachers didn't much mind that one!)

Still managed to get through law school though. No substitute for brains I reckon (I'm still trying to find one!)

superdave524 said...

If my memory serves, Ange, your middle school had more rumors of your attendance than actual attendance. I know my cuts at Webb Jr. HS were generally in the double digits each Semester, but I wasn't the only hooligan in the woods. And you're a teacher, now. If I had more teachers like you are (and I suspect Kate is), I probably would have gone more (and why would you put a school next to all those cows anyway?).

Mr. Matt said...

Hey, so I missed 15 days in a row once (well, I can't say I actually missed them!) But like I told mom, "They'll have another bus tomorrow!"

Geez, the apple may not have fallen far from the tree, but it rolled a long way:

Mom: Scholar, Librarian and then a nun

Andy: Maybe last living human to actually talk to the dreded "Truant officer" and you thought they were a mythical creature like the boogie man, nope they are real.

Ali- 8th grade, yet to make a grade other than an A. Doesn't actually know "firsthand" about referals, but knows what they are.

superdave524 said...

Evidently, the "good student" gene is recessive. Look for Ali's kids to be like grandpa.

Oh, and apples? I thought our main projectile was oranges.

superdave524 said...

...and Kate, the best teachers weren't necessarily the slack ones (though some of the slack ones were cool, too), but the ones that were most with their subject matter and who didn't clearly detest their students. Ms. Green? Strict, hated kids, bad teacher. Mr. Alverez? Strict, liked kids, liked his subject matter, good teacher. Ms. Jones, slack, liked her kids, liked her subject matter, good teacher.

kate said...

I do like my students. Most of 'em anyway.

And you couldn't have been too bad a student. I mean come on. You're an attorney. That's gotta count for somethin'.