Sunday, November 30, 2008

SpongeBob, We Hardly Knew Ye(llow).

I've had an eventful Thanksgiving week. I travelled a lot. I started the morning in Panama City, FLA. I'll do a Florida Roadtrip post later, but figure I'll start at the end this time. I travelled, like, 1200 miles in mostly awful weather, but wrecked just about a mile from the exit to my old house in Ridgeland, SC. I was going a little under the posted 70 m.p.h. limit on that stretch of I-95, when I hydroplaned, tried to correct, and started spinning. As I went into the spin, it occured to me that I might die- or not- that I'd probably be pretty banged up, and that I had no control at all in any event. Oddly, I wasn't at all afraid. When I discovered my attempts to steer were pointless, I shut my eyes and held onto the wheel. I careened off the road, into a ditch and into some little trees.A loud bang sounded, and the airbags deployed. Other than a slightly sore knee, I wasn't damaged. My car, the SpongeBob Mobile, didn't fare so well. The Fire and Rescue guys told me that that stretch of road claims a fair number of cars, and that most convertibles flip there. I called my best friend, Cathy, who came and got me and brought me the other half hour or so on to the Boro. The professionals on the scene were wonderful. I shout-out to them all.





You may know that I find God where other folks see coincidences. No doubt to me here.I spent a lot of years in Ridgeland. Some good, some bad. I managed to run a business quite unsuccessfully there. I made mistakes. Didn't treat everyone as well as I should have done. I suppose I thought could leave Ridgeland behind me after my Exodus to the Boro. I was wrong. There are some fine people in Ridgeland. I've mentioned the Old Testament story of Jonah before. He couldn't outrun his destiny or God or himself. None of us can. Though he ultimately did what he was asked to do, Jonah remained bitter to the end. I hope I can do better.

18 comments:

QuakerJono said...

Holy crap, dude! While I mourn the passing of SpongeBob, at least he gave his life protecting yours. Glad you're okay and kudos on waxing philosophical over a car wreck. I approve wholeheartedly.

Not the car wreck itself, mind you, just the philosophical waxification following it.

jrtnutt said...

Dave, I am so sorry to hear you had an accident. So glad you are ok. Your car didn't look too good. Do you think the Sponge is done? Can he be saved?

John in IL said...

Jesus! I figured something was wrong.

Mustang covertibles are great cars if want to look good on a nice sunny day but they (obviously) suck with a little water/snow underneath them. You are so lucky/blessed.

(and I vote for fireman #1; there's always a silver lining to these things)

my friend Amy said...

Ouch, ouch, ouch. As Martha would say, airbags are a good thing. So glad to know you physically came out without major damage. As for SpoBo, I was never a fan so I can't mourn his loss.

I'm pretty sure I saw your event near it's clean up point yesterday as I was heading home on 95 from the Footlocker race in Charlotte early last evening. Sadly, yours was one among many enroute home in the rain and I narrowly avoided backending a Volvo Suv myself right around Yemassee, opting for a trip to the median instead. The slew of high school youts in the back took notes on defensive driving maneuvers as I recovered and headed back onto the interstate.

Though the holiday's over, I give thanks that SuperDave is alive, well and shopping for a new ride.

superdave524 said...

Thanks, guys. It means a lot to me that y'all are there, giving a crap.

John in IL said...

You get all the crap that I can give.

superdave524 said...

Yeah, John, I'm still having nightmares (and a chuckle) over that turd sandwich.

superdave524 said...

...and QJ, sadly, the only thing I'll be waxing for awhile is a beige mini-van on loan from babymamma.

Sadly, Tam, no. SpongeBob has given up the ghost.

Amy, you SAID you hated SpongeBob, but I know in your heart you coveted him. So, how'd your team/son/daughter do?

Star said...

Thank Sponge Bob you're OK!

Although the crash may have killed your car, apparently it didn't keep you from taking pix of the good people who helped you. Is that a "When life hands you lemons..." kind of situation?

Glad you're ok. And you'll look just as fab pimping in the mini!

superdave524 said...

Yeah, Star, I try to find fun in every situation, but NOBODY looks good in a beige minivan. The Lads are already calling me a soccer mom/dad. I'll let you know if I manage to find fun in that.

Mr. Matt said...

Darn, as a father of four you are sadly ineligible for a Smart Car. Hey, don't sneeze at the beige mini-van (ok, go ahead and sneeze at it)

Glad you're ok bro, stuff is stuff is stuff and doesn't matter. But, I'll not lie, I'll miss Sponge Bob. I'll never forget driving back to SC from Virginia in that thing. Me and Becky having run 100K in brutal mountains and folding and unfolding ourselves in that thing. That was something.

Be well, and be careful.

sunny48 said...

Just wear one of your hats when you drive the van, that way no one will notice the van.

kate said...

So glad to know you're okay and finding what it is to learn in all of this. Keep on keepin' on.

superdave524 said...

Andy, I know you'd've dug a minivan after that endurance run, fa-shizzle. I'd get a Smartcar in a minute, but I can't pass the test!

Sunny (a/k/a Cathy), ain't nothing wrong with my hats. I got that one with the skulls on it at Wings and Strings. Hey, now! (and thanks again for the ride. You really are great).

Thanks, Kate.

Lynne said...

Four kids ? That is a handful !

Glad you're okay. I hope you got the message that I said hello . . .

superdave524 said...

I did, Lynne. Thanks. Yeah, four's a lot, but only the twins live with me at the moment. Oldest is in college, daughter with her mom.

my friend Amy said...

Okay, maybe I had a little soft spot for SpoBo but only when he was topless.

The meet was cold and rainy and results were close to conditions. I am however still revelling in my SC STATE CROSS COUNTRY CHAMPIONSHIP for my girls team, my daughter included, boys came in #2 in states which is not as bad as it smells. And I did get a monetary bonus for bringing home the title, guess I'll use that as my holiday spending.

superdave524 said...

Wow! Congrats, Amy.