Wednesday, November 5, 2008

God Bless John McCain.

A lot of moments from tonight's election will stick with me. The early returns projecting winners, while listing vote tallies of zero percent. Even better: one had three votes listed; Two for Obama, and one for McCain. Later when it became clear that Obama was going to win comfortably, watching the folks at CNN finding stuff to talk about. But the best images were after California polls closed and Obama was declared the winner. The shouts of joy in Chicago. Tears rolling down Jesse Jackson's face. Anything now seemed possible. Cindy McCain didn't look gracious. John might be sleeping on the couch, but John McCain's speech was gracious, healing, and seemed more genuine than I would have imagined. I didn't vote for McCain, but I never doubted he loved his Country- our Country. Tonight, by calling for unity and healing, he proved it.

8 comments:

Chase Squires said...

Yep, take Palin out of the equation, and it would be hard for America to lose this election, both men are solid. I think she cost them the election, if it had been McCain/Romney or McCain/Anyonesane, it might not have come out this way.

superdave524 said...

Agreed. Now, let's see where this bus takes us.

Star said...

I agree...I was impressed with McCain's demeanor during his speech, quieting the crowd when they booed Obama. He actually showed a bit of class for a change.

A client's big-time Repulblican parent was in today, and told me how sorry he felt for Palin, how the media massacred her. I just chuckled in my head as I thought about Tina Fey in the SNL skits.

superdave524 said...

Felt sorry for Sarah Palin? Puh-lease! That is insulting. She seemed plenty tough to me. I'm not a fan, but she seemed every bit as tough as Hillary, and I don't think Hillary got a free ride either.

kate said...

Palin will be back. You can't teach the kind of star-quality she has, but you can polish her up to appear intelligent. She's the hope of her party. You mark my words.

John McCain - where you been the last eight years? Great concession speech.

Here's to a better tomorrow.

John in IL said...

McCain is a classy guy.

COL said...

nice post SD! i noticed how quickly john and cindy parted ways on that stage after the ceremonious farewell wave. he just kind of brushed her off and shoved her aside. sad, and a stark contrast to how michelle and barack relate to each other.

but yes indeed it was a gracious concession speech. that was the mccain i loved years ago and once wanted to be prez ... long before he cozied up to the ultra conservatives and chose a nitwit for a running mate.

superdave524 said...

Thanks, Col. And I agree with the three of you about McCain. My Belgian friend asked me about two years ago- right at the beginning of this election cycle- about the candidates. I told him I liked Edwards, but I'd read Obama's book (Not the first one, but Audacity of Hope) and thought he'd be fine, and that Hillary'd be fine, too. Of the then crowded Republican field, I told him I liked McCain, but I doubted he'd be the same candidate if he could survive the Republican nominating process. I told him I might have voted for him in 2000 if he'd gotten the nod, but I figured he'd have to compromise too much and pander to the populist base that "W" had cobbled together to be the same guy I liked. If only briefly, I saw him again on Tuesday night.