Thursday, November 13, 2008

Brawlin' Brothers, Maimin' Monks?







I read in Monday's paper about sects among the brothers (that pun's for John) who were pummeling each other for the glory of God. This is probably not a good thing, I thought. "Peace be with you... wait... Say, you're one of them Orthodox monks, ain't cha? Yeah, well your pater wears funny hats. Now, put up your dukes!" In peace loving 'Merica, we're all over that. Shoot, our sports teams are chock-a-block full of religious mascots: in baseball we've got the Padres; in the National Football League, the Saints. The disconnect between violence in football and the "turn the other cheek" mandate of The Good Book has never been more dramatic than in the Athletic Coast Conference and my favorite oxymoronic mascot: the Wake Forest Demon Deacons. Kill 'em! Kill 'em and pray for their souls!

7 comments:

Mr. Matt said...

Well maybe there aren't like my peace loving school, the Crusaders. we use the Holy Bible over here, says so right on it. Maybe they use the other one, the UnHoly One.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors wife.... unless she's really hot!

superdave524 said...

I know that virgin, er, version.

Chase Squires said...

The video of that brawl was awesome, saw it on the talkin' box.

BTW, check out a new feech on my blog, on the sidebar, you can follow my twitter posts, which I can put up there instantly from my cell phone .... how cool is that? It was very easy to do.

Chase Squires said...

the Twitter thing sings to be a bit buggy, sometimes all the tweets pop up, sometimes they don't, rrrggg..

John in IL said...

Priests are easier.

superdave524 said...

Anticipation for twitter, Chase? It's not gonna happen to me. At least not until Spring.

I dunno, John, I thought I was a little old for priests.

Chase Squires said...

SD, you ain't right. :-)