Thursday, March 26, 2009

Onan? Oh, Man!

There is more funny stuff out there than most people realize. This generator is behind a fence that I pass every day as I walk to work. Why do I chuckle when I see it? My dad always told me a joke isn't funny if you have to explain it, but dagnammit, I can't help it. o\Onanism is a woefully under-used term (go ahead and click on it. I'll wait). "Onanism" came, as it were, from a dude in the Bible named Onan, who was supposed to sire children by his dead brother's widow for the benefit of said dead brother. He got the goody, but didn't do his duty:

"And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother". Genesis 38:9 (King James Version)

God ultimately gets pissed at Onan, and kills him; ever after, Onan's name is synonymous with baby-less sex. To generate is to beget or procreate. So what's this dude's name doing on a generator? Seems kind of, ahem, counter-productive, if you catch my drift.

Anyway, against my better judgment, I'm including Monty Python's take on the matter:

6 comments:

Star said...

I find it interesting that you're talking about procreation on my birthday :)

superdave524 said...

Shhh. Don't tell your husband (and happy birthday).

Mr. Matt said...

SuperD, only you, ONLY YOU! Onan the Barbarian you are!

superdave524 said...

Dif'rent strokes for dif'rent folks, I guess.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's funny, "Diferent Strokes." Hey, I was on that show!

-Todd Bridges

superdave524 said...

Yes, Todd, and I know you can whip that poser Danny Partridge, too.