Monday, March 9, 2009

Favorite Albums: American Graffiti

I got court again this week, and my reports may be spotty; however, I've got a few minutes before I drop off to dreamland, and and tossing up one of my 15 favorite "formative" albums. American Graffiti was a "coming of age" movie set in the late 1950's/early 1960's that spawned "Happy Days". It also sparked a brief revival of music from that era. It was a great soundtrack: Buddy Holly, Fats Domino, The Beach Boys, The Del Vikings, The Diamonds. A double-album packed with good, old music. One of favorites from that album was Del Shannon's Runaway:

6 comments:

Mr. Matt said...

That Richard Dryfus was one tough-cookie back then. And Ron Howard, well he was still Opie.

superdave524 said...

Hard to imagine, idnit? Wasn't Harrison Ford also in it?

Mr. Matt said...

Hans Solo was also in the flick, yes.

superdave524 said...

I thought is was Hans Olo.

Chase Squires said...

American Graffit din't spawn Happy Days directly, it started as a skit on "Love, American Style," remember that one?

... and hey, remember Chuck, Richie's older brother? Appeared in two episodes, then, poof ... wonder what ever happened to him ... hmm .. www.imdb.com?

superdave524 said...

Yeah, I remember Love American Style. One of the episodes had Rich Little as a pathetic dude who had no personality outside of his impressions. Though I was just a youngster myself, I had a fear that Rich Little's character was a reflection on all of us. Scary thoughts for a kid.