Sunday, March 22, 2009

A floor wax AND a dessert topping...

I was perusing Parade today, and read about their list of the World's ten worst dictators. After concluding that they all seem like pretty bad leaders but pretty GOOD dictators (dictators pretty much being not very nice people in general, and all...), I pondered a commodity that we acquire from Sudan, home of the the World's second worst (sic) dictator:

"The U.S. also purchases from Sudan millions of dollars worth of gum Arabic, used in soft drinks, candy, and shoe polish" (emphasis added)

Wait. The stuff we put in our shoe polish, we also put in our soda and candy? Holy Schmidt! I thought we were supposed to know the difference between Sh!t and Shinola. Reminded me of a fake product from days of yore (or your. Or my. Whatever. I'll try to embed this old fake commercial, but in case they pull it, or it otherwise doesn't work, try This).

6 comments:

Mr. Matt said...

During my short stint with the LPS company I was asked to a presentation on WD-40 and I was planning on using that clip in said presentation, sadly I was fired the day before I was to give the presentation, some non-sense about sagging sales and playing hookey, oh, well they missed a good faux commercial.

John in IL said...

The SNL commercial reminded me of another great cleaning/eating product: Vinegar!

Vinegar is an excellent all purpose cleaner and deodorizer. It also happens to be great on/in salads, potato chips and pickles. And apple cider vinegar cures heartburn!

Down with dictators, up with mutlitasking food!

superdave524 said...

It all turned out for the best, Ange. You made a lot more money in sales, but you always hated it. America is a lot better off with Teacher Andy.

Ah, versatile vinegar! You left out personal hygiene benefits, John. Wait. That's probably a good thing.

Chase Squires said...

They never do a piece on the ten BEST dictators. Sigh.

John in IL said...

Not so tasty...but it still cleans that shit up!

superdave524 said...

Well, Chase, This Guy's no Ray Walston, but he does do a shout out to some of 'em.

Yep, I think you've about covered it, John.