Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Too Old to Rock and Roll; Too Young to Die


I was checking out various youTube offerings and caught the date and site of this gem: Tampa Stadium, Summer of 1976. Son of a Kelly! I was there. Just finished my Sophomore year at A.P. Leto Comprehensive High School. My buddy Russ had talked me into selling cokes at Tampa Stadium for various events, this being one. AndyMan went with us from time to time. Not sure if he went on this one. It was a great gig. You paid a deposit for your first tray of cokes. Once you sell that first tray, you could turn it in and get more cokes. If you didn't feel like working very hard after you sold your first tray and got your money back, you could just sit on your tray and watch the concert. I'm pretty sure that's what I did on this one. Mighta sold a couple of trays, just so they'd let me vend at future concerts, but I doubt I sold many. It was about the show; not the dough. Rock on Jethro Tull!

11 comments:

Chase Squires said...

That's the spirit, if it's too loud, you're too old!

go on out and hit some rock clubs tonight around Walterboro! :-)

I'm bib 366, he said cryptically.

superdave524 said...

Either that, or, hey! The farmer's market's open!

COL said...

awesome story and video. thanks for sharing, brah.

superdave524 said...

You bet, Col. Thanks for reading.

Star said...

I was a mere four years old the summer of '76. But I will say that the JT flutist can rock that flute. Oh and btw, the singer gives me the heebie-jeebies. Do you think he took the red ones or the blue ones?

superdave524 said...

Ian Anderson (singer AND flutist for JT), is clearly a scary fellow, but very entertaining. I'm guessing he told Neo's doctor to give him a handful of both.

Star said...

So, I'm driving to work today listening to Sirius 70's (I'm stuck on that channel for some reason!) and guess who's playing? JT and Bungle in the Jungle! Funny.

superdave524 said...

There are no accidents, Star.

Star said...

You think with a name like "Star" I don't know that? Which reminds me: your previous post "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful"...I watched the commerical on the Big 80's the other day. Are we linked or what? (Or were YOU watching the Big 80's too?).

superdave524 said...

Nope. Living the big eighties was enough.

superdave524 said...

(Er, Star, that is, I wasn't watching the Big Eighties. The sympatico stuff is probable).