Friday, June 27, 2008

I'm a Hazard to Myself.

I've got a confession to make. I'm not proud of it, but it's true: I like Pink. No, not the color, the pop-star. Well, let me be more specific: I like some songs by the pop-artist who uses that moniker. Most particularly, I like "Don't Let Me Get Me". Like I said, I'm not proud of this. A guy can get his guyness revoked for such public admissions, but what are you gonna do? Anyway, I thought of that song when I got the receipt at left back from the ATM yesterday. Today's payday (just one more 60% check. God/the IRS/SCDOR willing, I'll get a complete paycheck in two weeks), and last night I figured I still had a few ducats in the till, and quick-cashed twenty bucks. The machine just won't give me the money if it's not in there, right? This particular ATM is possibly the last place on the planet where my credit is good. I had, apparently, 98 cents in my account, and the machine gave me a twenty, leaving me with a balance of negative $19.02. 'Course, the vig is hell. A draw on my overdraft costs me twenty-five clams. Like I said, I get paid today, so the "loan" is for about 12 hours. A twenty-five dollar charge. For an ATM draft of twenty dollars. For twelve hours. I might shoulda did an inquiry first, no?

7 comments:

Star said...

I'm still trying to figure out the connection between Pink and being broke. Maybe its because Pink WILL be broke in another year or so since her ONLY fan has no money to buy her records.

superdave524 said...

Well, that whole "I'm my own worst enemy" thing because I essentially borrowed money at 125% PER DAY interest (shoot, that'd be more than $9000 per year interest, or an APR of, well, a lot (any mathematicians out there wanna tackle that one?). I didn't mean to do it, but if I'd only bothered to balance my check book so that I knew how much I had in my account instead of just guessing... I'd've been happier if the ATM just told me- as so many have before it- "Sorry, Charlie, no money". I suppose that I could argue that their previous denials of money created a reasonable expectation that I would not be able to create a deficiency in my account from an ATM withdrawal such that they would be unjustly enriched by deducting an overdraft fee; however, I could easily have protected myself by just doing a balance inquiry before I asked for money. See? They let me get me.

Lynne said...

Run on sentence.

superdave524 said...

Lynne, I used to care about that sorta stuff. Not so much anymore. Yes, I know: sentence fragment.

kate said...

I wouldn't understand much of this post, except I've been freelancing and writing ten articles each week (for the past five weeks) about personal finance. So now I know all kinds of things.

And I like Pink, too. I may not relate to her, but I do think she's talented and enjoy her albums immensely. She and Shirley from Garbage. Go girls...If I had a daughter, I'd rather she like Pink or Shirley than any of the other female pop stars. Right. Including Madonna.

Anonymous said...

Hey, don't feel bad. I've had both my "guy card" and my "gay card" revoked.

And shit like that happens. I know. I've done it. It wouldn't hurt to try fighting it. I've had banks/credit card companies drop fees by simply asking.

And just because I am that way, I figured your APR to be 45,625% (I didn't figure it, an APR calculator did)

superdave524 said...

Yeah, Kate, one of the lines in Pink's song is "L.A. told me, I could be a big star; just change everything you are". I like Madonna's music okay, but if my daughter acted like that, I'd have to... be really angry with her.

John, expectations got to be rough all the way around. It's good to be who you are, whatever people expect. And thanks for calculating the interest. Talk about usary!