Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Don't Hate Me Because I'm Beautiful...


I'm pretty sure Fred Flintstone owned this unit before it was attached to my house. I don't think I have to worry about freon, because I'm reasonably sure freon wasn't discovered (invented?) until at least a couple of decades after Orville and Wilbur put this particular AC unit together. I'm not complaining, mind you: it is functioning. The inside of my house is, for the moment, cooler than the outside of my house. This was not true until quite recently. My friend CT, who is also the investigator for the public defender's office, fixed it for me using his highly developed McGyver skills. I swear, at one point he had me bring him several ball-point pens, twist-ties and a glass of water. Well, I'm pretty sure he just drank the water, but the other stuff made the dormant machine go. I asked him how he did it, but he said he'd have to kill me if he told me. I wasn't taking a chance; he still had one ball-point pen left.

14 comments:

my friend Amy said...

Now that there's some good 'ole life in the Boro...got yer three legged hound standing guard over the rusty summer life saver. Hope you let that girl into the cool house when it's triple digits in the backyard.

superdave524 said...

Aw, Amy, Brady's so cool she doesn't need AC. Best three-legged dog around.

Mr. Matt said...

All I got was a crummy chicken :-(

Chase Squires said...

Dude, gotta love shade tree HVAC men!

As for downloading off that Westword site ... where it says you can download, "right click" instead of left click, then click "save target as" and send it to you "my music" folder ... it'll take only a few seconds, then go back to the my music folder and you can either click to play or you can import it to iTunes.

Chase Squires said...

btw, love the Mountain Goats!

Chase Squires said...

use this link to the downloadable stuff, lots of it.

http://blogs.westword.com/backbeat/mp3_freeloader/

Anonymous said...

Is there a McGyver skills course I can take (somewhere)? I suck at mechanical problem solving.

superdave524 said...

Yeah, Ange, mom always loved you best (and we all oughta love the Smothers Brothers).

Thanks for the tips, Chaser. I'll give it another rip. And the Mountain Goats are boss. I also like this song: http://youtube.com/watch?v=VCjCatM-ngM

John, I am totally mechanically impaired. My advice? Find a friend like CT who knows how to fix stuff.

Mr. Matt said...

John, move to Lynn Haven, Florida and get to know Leo Baggett. Just keep plenty of Harvey's scotch and the occasional Kent cigarette handy, and BAM! Your fix-it needs are fixed!

superdave524 said...

Leo smoked Kents?

Anonymous said...

Hello Dave, I hope what ever i did to the A/C unit is still working because we went to Hendersonville NC over the weekend and the house we stayed in had no A/C so in the day time we left and road all day untill it was close to dark then we came back and had to run two box fans and I tried to talk them into going down to the General Store and buy 3" flex ducking and a role of tape and I told them that I could run it from the A/C vents on the car into the house, So we voted and it was 3 to 1 and the motion was tabled.... So we all stayed HOT.......

superdave524 said...

You're a funny guy, CT (thanks, again).

Mr. Matt said...

SuperD, Leo smoked everything from Kents to Mullet! But yes, Kent's were his perferred poison, when he was on a diet it was Kent Golden Lights, when he quit the cig business, he went to Dorals (cheaper) then quit all together (sorta.)

superdave524 said...

Think I'll send Leo a card. Maybe something with a Jimmie-like dog on it.