Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

It's about quarter 'til three on Thanksgiving Day, and I'm bushed. My brother, the Amazing AndyMan, came up from Cigar City to spend the Holiday in the Boro. He and I ran for about an hour this morning, then we volunteered at my Church, St. Jude's Episcopal, to prepare and serve free Thanksgiving meals to folks who didn't already have plans. See how eager I am to get started? Andy'd already done this gig in Tampa just yesterday. He saw the multitude ready to help and beat it to the Manor to watch Kill Bill Vol. One for perhaps the fifth time. I carved a couple of hams, then started working the serving line. Yams were my item. Yams are very popular at Thanksgiving, and I only one or two of the seven hundred folks we served didn't want some.
http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifLinda Kelly was on ham detail. She's and the rest of the line get ready to open business.
I wouldn't've been there if not for my gal, Diane. Among her duties as director of the Area Health Education Commission (or Company. It starts with a "C", anyway) are youth education programs designed to get young folks into the healthcare field. These are motivated kids. She managed to get this good-looking crew to take a few hours from their own Thanksgiving to volunteer at St. Jude's. Don't ever give up on the kids. The kids are alright!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's er good to be back on the Internet, if just for a moment at my bro's house. He's a great dude, and I really like his gal, Dianne. She's lovely, funny, and down to earth. She also makes a killer cherry pie. Her guacamole rivals mine (I won't say it's better, because well, I put it up against a version that was bastardized by my BFF Mr. Morejon, he made me put meat and cheese in it, and I'd never tried that, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as usual, to me anyway)

SuperDave is looking fit and running well. We ran for an hour this morning on a crisp day (we haven't had one this crisp in Tampa yet, and may not by year's end)

Regardless, I'm having a blast and looking forward to a yummy dinner this eve.

As for every Thanksgiving, Go Lions!

AndyMan
(Dave's Little Bro)

superdave524 said...

Grabs him Karras!

Star said...

You two are just awesome! Glad you enjoyed your time together :)

superdave524 said...

Thanks, Star.

RC said...

How great, surprised the yams were so popular - must have been becasue you were there serving them!

superdave524 said...

Thanks, RC.

Anonymous said...

It DOES make you feel good to be serving food to those who otherwise would not be eating and/or enjoying the company of others, huh? Being lonely can be almost as bad as being hungry. Did they get to watch a football game? THAT would be truly awesome! :) fdb

superdave524 said...

No t.v. at St. Jude's, Frandy, but I tried to be an entertaining yam-serving, anyway.