Monday, November 16, 2009

RIP David LLoyd.

Noted television writer David Lloyd died last week. I didn't know the man, but, like a lot of trailing edge baby boomers, I knew his work. He wrote for a number of popular television series, including Frasier, Cheers, and Taxi, but in the various mini-eulogies tossed about for him, his "Chuckles Bites the Dust" episode on The Mary Tyler Moore Show gets the most attention. YouTube it, if you get the chance. It really is a classic. Television was very important to me and lots of baby boomers. Mary Tyler Moore was a regular part of my life for several years. Mary, Lou, Ted, Murray and the rest were a regular part of my life. Writers like David Lloyd, at least as much as the actors, gave them their lives.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too, liked his work. One rule at our house was "no talking during MTM show!" The "chuckles" episode can still have me holding my sides!

superdave524 said...

Thanks for checking in, Anon.

Chase Squires said...

Bummer man, seems like there's been a shortage lately of good sitcom writers.

superdave524 said...

Stupid realty shows.

superdave524 said...

Er, that should be "Stupid Re-al-ity Shows". 'Course, "Flip this House" would be both.