Monday, November 23, 2009

My Old School, Redux.

I don't know any of these kids, but they are dressed in Leto High School football practice T-shirts, just like I was a little more than thirty years ago. I was nominated for most school-spirited (ended up with Class Clown. Go figure. Jose Pedreira got most school-spirited. Hope he and Furison are doing okay), so I'd better know the Alma Mater. Here it is:



"Voices proud in Praises sing,
Hail to Leto High.
Through the Hallowed halls now ring,
The Mighty Falcons' cry.
In our work and in our pleasure,
To thy honor and thy might.
To our colors ever true:
Hail to the Red, Gold and White!"

Leto is smaller now than it was back in the day. I was one of about 750 graduates of the Class of '78. The school had about 3500 students. Looks like they have about half that now. I loved my old school, but, apparently, it isn't the fast-lane to success.

Leto High School in Tampa tries to transcend image with AP classes - St. Petersburg Times

Posted using ShareThis

I note that Leto's notable alumni are listed as Atlanta Falcon's wide-receiver Michael Jenkins (once a Falcon, always a Falcon, I guess), and- get this- Public Defender Julianne Holt. Hey! I'm a Public Defender. Wonder how come I'm not listed?

3 comments:

superdave524 said...

No Falcons out there? I even intentionally got a couple of words to the Alma Mater wrong hoping someone would catch it. Oh, well.

Anonymous said...

Wait, I'm a Falcon and so is my brother!

I went to my 30-year reunion. It's was scarier than a Rob Zombie film. There was me, the still lovely Angel Kirby-Mitchell (may have to see if Cindy is holding up as well at the CO 1980 reunion)and a lot of old people. Oh well...

Jim Kelly

superdave524 said...

Brian's brother? Nah. I bet that's really the Amazing AndyMan.