Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Real Writer.

It's somewhat inaccurate to say that I read the newspaper religiously. It's unfair both to my Church, and to the newspaper; as I take my Church more seriously, but I read the paper more regularly. If you're reading this, then you already know that I like to write. In fact, I've always been jealous of "real writers": writers that perform their craft well, and are paid to do it. I was delighted to spend a few minutes with a real writer yesterday. Charleston "Post and Courier" newspaper columnist Ken Burger was at Downtown Books and Espresso in the Boro signing his new book, "Sister Santee", and I stopped in to buy his first book, "Swallow Savannah" and get a cup of Joe. He told me that he was originally from the small, poor, rural county of Allendale. Mr. Burger is recognized across the State, and has been writing interesting things well for many years, and I'd mentioned I'd already known he was from Allendale. When I meekly offered that I'd written a few sports articles for the paper in the small, poor, rural county where I'd lived a few years ago, I kind of expected him to turn on his heel and walk off; instead, he said he knew the paper. Thanks, Ken, for grinding out good work and providing a regular dose of good prose. Thanks, especially, for making me feel, if briefly, like I might be a real writer, too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will admit that I MAY be a tad prejudiced, but I think you ARE a "real writer". fdb

superdave524 said...

Thanks, Frandy, you're the best.

Mr. Matt said...

Yes, I enjoy your writin' as well. I know it's a whole lot easier readin' writin' than writin' reading, but you make the readin' more enjoyable.

superdave524 said...

You are a funny guy, A-Man (you're also a very entertaining writer, as anyone who's ever looked at your blog knows.