Thursday, March 31, 2011

Phone Times.

Remember the days before "caller I.D."? You actually had to take a chance of speaking to someone with whom you didn't want to speak back in those days. Today's "Garfield" is improbable these days, but I remember when blurting out a greeting that would be perfectly appropriate with one caller- but grossly inappropriate with another- was a common occurrance. I specifically recall my Pop, after spending the day with his friends Judy and Manly Lawson, confidently predicting it was Mrs. Lawson ringing up the house. Doing his best Cary Grant, dad bellowed, "Judy, Judy, Judy" into the phone, much to the surprise of the salesman on the other end. Dad's Cary Grant wasn't that great, but it was, at least, better than that of Gomer Pyle's cousin, Goober.


5 comments:

Mr. Matt said...

Yes the whole no call list is great. No I mostly don't miss having a home phone. But golly gee I miss messing with solicitors! My favorite ruse was always, "I'm sorry, I don't speak any English. Look, it's no use trying to sell me because I don't understand a word you are saying!" Of course said in perfect English!

superdave524 said...

After you told me about that one, Ange, I'd used it a bit myself. Only had one dude say, "but, you just understood me", to which I responded, "I did not".

Anonymous said...

When someone asks for "Frances", I KNOW they don't know me,so I just say "she isn't in, may I take a message?"
Leo once told a window salesperson that we didn't have any windows. There was complete silence...and they hung up. fdb

superdave524 said...

Now that's funny stuff, Frandy (not Frances).

Anonymous said...

My brother suggested I might like this web site.

He was once totally right. This put up actually made my
day. You can not consider just how much time I had spent for this information!
Thank you!

My page - diet plan