Thursday, August 6, 2009

R.I.P. John Hughes.



Director John Hughes died. He directed a couple of my favorite movies of the 80's, Ferris Bueller's Day Off and The Breakfast Club. A few of my buddies in law school and I used to cut our contracts class about once a week to get grouper sandwiches and listen to jazz at the Hurricane Lounge at one of the beaches not far from Stetson Law School. I suppose this is either the cause or result of my preference for criminal trial practice over office practice. We called our group "The Lunch Club" in homage to the gustatorily entitled Hughes film, and, while Ferris didn't make his entrance until my exit from school, our getaways were very much in the Bueller style. As the master said, "Life comes at you pretty fast. If don't stop and look around once and awhile, you could miss it".

7 comments:

Star said...

Ohhh yeah. No one wants to watch Ferris Bueller's Day Off with me because I know every line word for word.

Chase Squires said...

RIP Mr. Hughes.

His behavior after the 80s was odd, never understood why he wouldn't let his fans engage him as they grew older and began to appreciate his films more and more. Too bad he passed away before he could tell us anything more.

superdave524 said...

I dunno, Star; sounds like fun to me.

People are strange, Chase, and creative people are stranger still. Just watched "Purple Rose of Cairo" and thought about how Woody Allen's life unfurled. Life/art; good/bad. Perceptions and perfection. I may post a review. Or not.

Chase Squires said...

I love how Woody Allen believes attractive young women want to date old men, obstensibly to learn about "art, music and the world" from these wise men, same character in so many of his flix ... cracks me up. Then again, at 70, he's still landing the babes. eww.

superdave524 said...

Hence the term "getting a Woody". Wait, that's about surfer cars. Never mind.

Chase Squires said...

As we learned from the former Senator: "Packwood: to be happy to see someone"

superdave524 said...

You're a funny guy, Chase.