Sunday, March 29, 2009

Oh, Give Me a Home, Where the Buffalo Roam.

Okay, I actually didn't see the Bill Murray movie about the famous (now dead) gonzo journalist, but I like Bill Murray okay. Let's see. Why did I post this picture? Ah, now I remember. I saw a buffalo in a pasture, next to a public golf course in neighboring Dorchester County, South Carolina. Reminds me of a nugget from the Arrow Book of Jokes from fifth grade:

Buffalo's in a check-out line at Wal-Mart. The cashier stares at him for a minute, as the buffalo impatiently taps his hoof. "I'm sorry", the cashier offered, "It's just that we don't get a lot of buffaloes around here". "Well", said the buffalo, "With service like this, that doesn't surprise me".

Anyway, it was raining, so this isn't a great shot, but here's the buffalo.

9 comments:

Mr. Matt said...

Isn't that funny, we just had a male Buffalo enroll at our school. I saw his mom as she dropped him off at school. She handed him his lunchbox, gave him a little hug, and I could swear as she waved her goodbye I could hear her say.....
... Bison.

superdave524 said...

Wasn't that one of your Auburn buddies, Alan Bannister?

Chase Squires said...

And the mushroom says, "C'mon, lemme in, I'm a fun guy!"

superdave524 said...

You gotta love a mushroom joke.

Mr. Matt said...

Gross, our Buffalo just dropped something else off at school, I think we'll call this one Chip!

Goodbye Mr. Chips!

superdave524 said...

We can always count on you when the chips are down.

Unknown said...

Dorchester County. That's where several of my ancestors settled in the early 18th century. They originated in Dorchester, England, and founded Dorchester, Mass. in the early 1600s. One of them was a Salem witch ('splains a lot). Dorchester, MA is now a suburb of Boston, where the JFK Museum is located. When they came down to South Carolina in the early 1700s
they named the new place, you guessed it, Dorchester! (Not much imagination on the part of the old folks at home.) Eventually a group broke off and moved into Georgia, founding Sunbury. I guess they gave up on the name Dorchester but maybe they should have stuck with it --- Sunbury eventually became a ghost town. I'm a nerd, I know. Oh yeah, you can get a buffalo steak in a restaurant in Aberdeen, South Dakota. A little tough but still pretty good.

col said...

this one's for you sd!
http://tinyurl.com/yvkro9

superdave524 said...

Cool stuff, Vickie. I know a good bit about my mom's family, which, through one branch, we can trace back to the Battle of Hastings, and a little about dad's, but we haven't named any towns or counties that I know of.

Col, I'm not sure what a buffalo stance is, but I know what a Buffalo Soldier is (hey, everybody needs a little Marley sometimes).