Monday, March 2, 2009

Roadtrip: Estill

Monday I visited a client at the Federal prison in Estill, a town of about 2,500 people, about an hour due West of the Boro. I forgot my camera, but I the photo stock I stole from the internet is accurate. The dilapidated building typical of the area. In the drive from Walterboro to Estill, I passed many small churches (mostly Baptist, but with a Church of Christ and a few non-denominationals tossed in) and timber tracks; a couple of cotton fields, hunting clubs and deer processing plants; one liquor store; and Freddy's Taxidermy. I lost cellphone reception at Freddy's.

Bull Durham Tobacco ad on brick building by the railroad tracks.

When I got to the prison, the kind guard at the front desk told me that the paperwork allowing me entry had not been completed, and I'd have to wait awhile. After an hour of scintillating conversation with the vending machines, I asked the lady if I might slip out to get some lunch while they figured out if they wanted to let me in. She said that'd be fine, and recommended the Mexican restaurant in town. She told me to get to El Zarape, I need to go back into town, take a left at the town's only stop light, cross the railroad tracks and it's at the strip mall. I can't miss it. She recommended the buffet. Now, sampling ethnic food in a small rural town is always dicey, but the options in Estill are limited, so I took a chance. I did, indeed, try the buffet. Let's see... I guess those are enchiladas. Probably you can make your own tacos with that stuff. What's this? Pork chops? Fried okra? Macaroni and cheese? It was obvious I was at a Southern buffet; not so obvious I was in a Mexican restaurant. Actually, the food was pretty good, and they served it with a big ol' glass of Sweet Tea:

6 comments:

Mr. Matt said...

SuperD, keep eating at those buffetts and I'll be drinking Scotch on you in no time! I'm 11 pounds down in exactly (a little less than) one month!

Let's see for me today for lunch, Cous-cous with asparagus, portabello mushroom, and tomato on a bed of spinach. Yum Yum!

superdave524 said...

I've got more food than that between my teeth.

Star said...

There used to be an 'El Zarape' in Dunedin that we really liked. The plastic garland and tissue decorations helped make the meal more festive.

superdave524 said...

I was wondering about the Christmas ornaments...

Chase Squires said...

Used to be a joint similar to that in Dade City on the highway leaving town, advertised outside as a chinese restaurant, so I try the buffet ... uh, salad, meatloaf, mashed potatoes, corn ... what the ... ?

superdave524 said...

Maybe the menu-s were printed in China.