Thursday, March 26, 2009

Three Fabulous Daves.

An old school chum, Dave Parkes, played the Villain in an episode of "The Beast" that aired on A&E last night. Even though he has progressed along over these past thirty years, I still easily recognized him. He did a fine job. Like, you know, a professional actor. Dave's English accent was a lot better than the Russian guy's accent.

Dave Parkes, Dave Okamoto, brother AndyMan, Mitch Brown and a few others were thick as thieves in high school. In addition to a slew of high school activities, we managed to find some mischief, too, including Christmas Carolling in late Summer. A couple of our teachers called me, Parkes, and Dave Okamoto "The Three Fabulous Daves". I haven't been called fabulous since.

At left is a picture from the Talon, our yearbook. Dave Parkes, Me, and Dave Okamoto vote for something in a National Honor Society meeting. As I recall, we were voting to keep the standards for NHS the same for future potential entrants. The measure failed because the other members wanted people to think we were smarter than we really were. I still fight a lot of losing battles.

Parkes was the "theater guy". He had his own show in Tampa (Okay, "Kids' World" wasn't winning any Emmys, but, hey, it was a show), and was selected as our "Most Likely to Succeed" out of a class of about 750 students. Oak was "the writer". He put together plays and skits for us for things like Spirit week and Coffee Shop, and was active in the school newspaper. He was selected as "Most Creative" in our class. I was supposed to dine with my two more-talented friends this December, but I was bone-tired and had already made several trips to Cigar City over the weeks, so I ditched them. Looks like now I'll have to bribe their secretaries just to get their autographs. Yeah, well, I can still do more push-ups than they can.

13 comments:

Mr. Matt said...

Hey SuperDave, thanks for trying in that doomed vote! I was victim to the "New Standards" of NHS that passed. Voting in favor of keeping "Spike" out was my own girlfriend. Now why did I break up with Val again......

superdave524 said...

I did what I could, Ange. Those AIG-like bastids kept you outta NHS, but you're in the Leto HS Hall of Fame; which is more than I, or hardly any of those dudes and dudettes can truthfully say.

superdave524 said...

(I mean, truthfully say about OURSELVES. I just did say that YOU are in the Leto HS Hall of Fame. It was actually easy to say).

jrtnutt said...

Public defender isn't such a shabby job....... So make it up to them by coming back to Tampa. I am sure Andyman would love to see you. Maybe we can all get together? Kate too? Before she jets off to Orlando. :)

superdave524 said...

Sounds like fun, Tam. 'Course, Oak lives in Dallas now (his parents are still in Tampa); and Parkes lives in Chicago. I was gonna see them over the Christmas break. I love my job, though I'll never get rich doing it.

John in IL said...

Oooh, brush with(not so much) greatness. Loved the story. You are a fabulous teller of stories.

(bet you didn't see that one coming...)

superdave524 said...

That's a very nice thing to say. Thanks, John.

John in IL said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lynne said...

SuperD,

I know David Okamoto and his wife, Dana. They moved over to Melbourne a long time ago. I have not spoken with Dana since they left Tampa.

What's up with them ?

superdave524 said...

Dana and Dave split years ago. Dave has remarried a very nice gal named Jennifer, and they have two handsome sons.

kate said...

That's kinda cool. I went to school with Robert Gant. (He's been on Friends and had a big part on Queer as Folk.) His name was Bobby Gonzalez in high school.

So that's something.

Mr. Matt said...

I often race with Dean Karnazes.

superdave524 said...

Pretty cool, Kate, but did you follow strangers at the Mall with him after a taco-eating contest?

Dean should be bragging about running with you, Ange.